Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Pregnancy Doppler  (Read 8407 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Pig Pregnancy Doppler
« on: June 10, 2012, 12:24:38 pm »
Having toyed with the idea of buying a doppler for the last couple of years, I've decided to now invest in one.   I'm looking at the Agritech Doppler but wonder if anyone has any experience or feedback on such an item and most of all, are they easy to use.
Thanks all. :wave:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

HappyHippy

Re: Pig Pregnancy Doppler
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 02:24:52 pm »
I think Liz (Tudful Tamworths) has one - she'll be along soon with info  ;)

I have to admit I've been thinking about the same myself - but they seem really expensive when you can get a human version for around £40, which has had me wondering........ ::)
Surely, if it's the same frequency of probe it'll do the same thing ? Okay, it'll probably be very girly looking (since they're aimed at expectant mums) and maybe not waterproof (but most pigs are happy to come inside for a bit  ;) ) but apart from that I reckon it's bound to be basically the same thing - after all they both measure uterine 'noise', just different species. Plus, I've got to admit I'd struggle to get £££'s together for the Rototek one, but could probably find £40 quite easily to try the other ones  ;)   ;D
Will be watching with interest  :thumbsup:
Karen

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:40:49 pm »
£114 for waterproof ones :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 06:50:38 pm »
We have the Draminski detector, and whilst it takes a little getting used to to be able to scan quickly every time, it is really good.

HH -not sure about a human one, girly wombs are very different to piggy ones, and there are different detectors for various species, which are set at different frequencies.  Having siad that when we consulted Draminski about whether the pig one would work for a dog, they were sceptical, but we scanned a friends dog just to see, and it came back positive which was right.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:31:31 am »
Hi,

I'm currently 17 wks pregnant and we tried out our Agritech Doppler (bought for the pigs and alpaca!) on me at around 10 wks and it worked well, however on the same day we tried a human/maternity Doppler and couldn't get anything. Have only used the Agritech since and it's worked well on both the in-pig pigs and me, haven't bothered with the other since!

Steph

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:34:01 am »
Thanks for the feedback folks  :thumbsup:    Its the Agritech one I've been looking at and as SMarshall seems to have had such excellent success with it on both pigs and human  :trophy: (congrats)...i think that's probably going to be the one for me.......just gotta make sure it pays for itself, but at least it'll take the guesswork out of things  :fc:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:33 am »
Yup, thanks Steph  :thumbsup:  And congratulations & good luck with the pregnancy  :bouquet:
Saved me spending cash and being dissapointed  ;)
Time to start saving then  ::)   ;D
Karen  :wave:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 10:57:16 am »
Yup, thanks Steph  :thumbsup:  And congratulations & good luck with the pregnancy  :bouquet:
Saved me spending cash and being dissapointed  ;)
Time to start saving then  ::)   ;D

Shame we're not closer together HH - we could have 'shared' it  :wave:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 12:41:51 pm »
That would have been a great idea  :thumbsup:  You're not exactly just round the corner though  ;)   ;D
I appreciate the sentiment, thank you for that  :-*

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 02:00:52 pm »
were ur sows pregnant karen?

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 04:27:25 pm »
Yup  :thumbsup:  But numpty here got the dates wrong  ::)   :innocent:
Another few weeks to go yet, but I'll keep you all updated  ;)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 07:22:00 pm »
I happened to speak via email to the chap at 5M who sell the Agritech doppler and asked how difficult it is to understand what one is hearing!!!    He's very kindly popped a CD with the sounds on it in the post for me so that I can get an idea....before purchasing.   I thought that was rather good of him ...... although 400 quid is at stake here  :innocent:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 11:41:49 pm »
Yup  :thumbsup:  But numpty here got the dates wrong  ::)   :innocent:
Another few weeks to go yet, but I'll keep you all updated  ;)

thats good  :wave:   pepper caught me out as she never bagged up at all, just had an underline. dolly is in stable waiting ....she has little boobies so cant be far away!
they were natural service.... :innocent:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 09:23:54 am »
Am I missing something? What is the point of a spending £400 on a pregnancy tester, if you know when the boar was in with the sow even if you don't see the deed being done you will have a fairly good idea when she is due. Seems to me to be money better spent elsewhere. :wave:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 10:37:15 am »
I did think the same thing initially BB, but there's also the advantage of being able to use it during farrowing itself to determine if there are still piglets inside the sow, also in the case where you suspect miscarriage it can be used to confirm or not, as the case may be.
I agree though that if I had £400 'spare' I would probably spend it on something else  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS