Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: yellowy watery diarrhoea&listless hens  (Read 5725 times)

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
yellowy watery diarrhoea&listless hens
« on: June 09, 2012, 03:53:04 pm »
Any suggestions as to what this may be please.
Yesterday I noticed a couple of watery/yellowy poos in the run, and today I noticed some in the run next door too. I spotted two very listless hens who are not eating and I don't think they are drinking either. I have now removed the hens to separate run & hoping none of the others get it.I brought a few new hens in last week, but they are in a different area on the property, not even in view of these sick hens.the new ones all seem fine. I wonder what I can do to help my hens recover & stop any more getting it.

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: yellowy watery diarrhoea&listless hens
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 05:27:41 pm »
Is there anything I can give them to help them fight whatever it is  or anything to help the others not to get it to should it be very contagious?we are using a foot bath between enclosures & changing gloves etc.a have always had separate shovels/brushes etc for each enclosure. Think I'm doing all I can & will try to be extra vigilant.fingers crossed for me and the girls!

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 05:56:10 pm »
Have you wormed them recently ?
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 05:59:30 pm »
There is a useful page here:

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

It shows lots of different chicken poos, hope you find out how to help your chickens.

Let us know how you get on.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 06:36:42 pm »
Sounds like worms Zeeteecee. Same question as Fowlman, when were they last wormed with Flubenvet? Ours have started the yellow poos in large quantities again. They haven't been wormed for 4 months and they are starting to moult. Not sure if those are related, but they do yellow poos when they get excited anyway and perhaps they can hear the new hens, even though they can't see them?

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 09:24:02 pm »
Were wormed about a month ago now.they are so listless, my very thinks it may be cocci.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 09:03:01 am »
Its red mite season so that would be the first thing i would check, if not check for respiratory problems.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 08:49:04 pm »
But what were they wormed with Zeeteecee? Coccidiosis you would see red flesh in the poos. ACV in the water at 1% can assist with C. It can be killed with ACV at 3% according to research I've read but ours won't drink it above 1.5%. Could try probiotic natural yoghurt on small pieces of bread. That stuff has some remarkable properties and I cured a 'pronounced terminal by the vet' case of C in a 4 week old chick by pumping her full of the stuff in desperation -Lucy is nearly 5 now and still laying.

kate. x

• Joined May 2012
  • west yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 12:32:23 pm »
HI. Mine had the same, I used a probiotic yoghurt with crushed layers  mixed in. worked wonders!! I didnt feed them anthing else so they had to eat it!

3 dogs,2 tortoises, 6 cats 4 hens 4 Belgians, 2 lambs,, 2 rabbits, fish, the list goes on!!!

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 06:28:53 am »
Update! There has been no blood our anything resembling it in the poops at all, the two poorly girls I have are slowly making a recovery & poos are at least the correct colour &a slightly better texture too. They are fighting over the food now so on the mend. Last evening I noticed another hen in the flock displaying the same symptoms but was unable to get it out until tie morning to isolate it.
I really don't know what's going on with them, but will certainly do the yogurt that you suggest, sounds like a preventative .

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 09:09:06 am »
Its red mite season so that would be the first thing i would check, if not check for respiratory problems.
Go to the hen house after dark with a torch & just check for mite, if you are unlucky enough to have you will see them crawling around the perches etc. Makes me itch just typing about them (Esp if the combs are looking pale)
Horrible little buggers! Can cause all sorts of havoc.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 10:10:34 am »
Creosoting everything annually tends to sort out any mite issues.

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 06:04:05 pm »
I don't have a red mite problem. I dust the shed with diatomaceous earth! &Vaseline the perch ends to get the little beggars,i Don't give them the chance to take hold.. also the shed its creosoted.

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 07:19:37 am »
Have another hen with the same symptoms, but the original two sick girls seem very much recovered! This time I think there is blood in the poo, should I treat all flock with something for cocci? Or some apple cider vinegar or natural yoghurt? Help!!! New area for me !

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 07:31:31 am »
Now a fourth hen affected I will take fecal samples to the vet for answers.it seems to be going through the flock slowly. This latest sick chicken doesn't seem so badly affected as the others but not right.
Collecting poop samples this morning! I'll post any further details if anyone is interested!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS