Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nosey Cows!!  (Read 5588 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Nosey Cows!!
« on: April 24, 2009, 09:39:58 am »
I need some advise on dealing with cows!

I live next to a large field which is mostly empty, but each summer the farmers stick about half a dozen young cows in (last year there was cows with their calves)

the field also has a right of way through it - linking the canal to the country park.

I'm not really a fan of right of ways as i think people tend to think they have a right to do what they want and ignore the fact there might be animals in there, but that's another story.

Anyway, these cows are really nosey and sneaky too!!!!

when i get into the field they come galloping (do cows gallop? lollop looks better!) towards me and then stop about 30-40 yards short, they just stare.

but as soon as i've walked past them - and now have my back to them - it's like a game of "what's the time Mr Wolf?"

when i look back, they'll be a little closer - but they'll stop dead when i look back.

i'll carry on my way and the next thing you know they'll be right behind me again.

If i walk towards them, they'll run off.

But they are quite young and like to get a bit of speed up. So, how should i cross the field or "confront" the animals to make sure they don't do me any harm walking across the field?

HappyHippy

Re: Nosey Cows!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 10:43:00 am »
Hi Sellickbhoy,
I TOTALLY know what you mean about lolloping cows !  ;D  ;D  ;D
My kids love it when the cows go out - they run up and down the other side of the fence shouting 'chase me, chase me' and the cows do ! (although it's usually just the young ones, not cows with calves) I think it's just natural curiousity in young animals and doubt they'd ever do you any harm. Whenever I've had to stop / herd cows in the past I find stretching both arms as wide as you can (helps your confidence if you've got a stick or length of hose in your hand - but I've never actually had to use it to defend myself) they just stop - if they don't move then a big step towards them waving madly moves them on. You may look like a plonker doing it, I definately feel like one when I'm doing it - but it works without seeming to distress the animals and keeps them back off you. This is probably really obvious too, but don't take a dog with you - if they start barking and running about it'll wind the cows up and could make the situation a wee bit dangerous.
I'm not even going to comment on right of ways - we have a public right of way/footpath through our land and people think it gives them free right to wander in and around our sheds, gated fields and we've even had people arrive on quads to use the 'footpath' .....................blah  >:(
Anyway, good luck with the cows and if they still keep following you you should get someone to film it and it'll give you well deserved laugh  ;)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 10:02:51 pm »
when there are new calves in the field, i leave well alone.

these ones are just inquisitive youngsters full of the joys of spring, but i don't want one clobbering me.

i usually have the dog and his ball chuck-it with me, so i can do the big scary off thing no bother, that does the trick. but i don't want to scare them too much. I'm sure they'll settle down after a few days of seeing me

the dog stays well away from them - he just wants to get out on his walk and races straight across the field and waits by the exit for me

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 11:12:08 pm »
We had cattle in our fields regularly when we were in Aberdeenshire - and we walked through them with the dogs every day.  Always took a piece of polythene pipe with us and gave them as wide a berth as possible.  However, one day one of the dogs got engrossed in something at the edge of the field and neither she nor we noticed the beasts creeping up on her.  She suddenly realised and took to her heels barking, thereby startling the cows and they went into stampede mode.  She was rolled a few times with us screaming at the cattle and trying to divert them away from her, then we chased them down the field to the waterings.  Luckily her fat helped protect her and she jumped up, shook herself and continued hunting.  We were shattered and went back to the house for a stiff drink!  We were more careful after that.  Always remember that although they may not mean any malice - generally speaking they are fairly amenable - they are considerably heavier than most of us and should be respected.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 11:23:05 pm »
I remember being heavily pregnant with my first child and my Husband went off shouting on his dads farm, I said I would walk back to his mums house and noticed the bullocks following me, I did not run and only just got out of the field in time only to find out the one of them regularly used to jump on people and my father in law, I have always be weary ever since as I love cattle but, they are so heavy!!!! :cow:

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:29:29 pm »
Quite often the only time cows grazing in a field see a human (the Farmer) is when he/she brings them feed or a mineral bucket - thus when they see anyone they are looking to receive a treat of some kind - the first thing a Farmer does when he/she enters the field is call the cows to him/her - so naturally the cows learn to gather around anyone they see - yes they are curious and they will follow you but if you ignor them they will not bother you - the best way of keeping any animal at bay is to carry a water pistol - a quick spray will send them away and no harm done - cheap, easy to get hold of and totally legal and fun on a hot day!

Cows with calves are protective and you shouldn't approach them especially with a dog...simply asking for trouble...let them alone and keep your pet undercontrol - enjoy the countryside but remember its their home.

Farmer
 :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS