Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coloured Ryeland Flock  (Read 8621 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Coloured Ryeland Flock
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 03:06:17 pm »
There has been some really major changes within the Ryeland Flock Book Society over the last 3years, it is a different society. Any member of the society especially the members who have coloured sheep are not now classed as second class citizens. I am sure that anyone on this forum who have Ryelands can back this. We need to have the diverse gene pool within the society so every member counts.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 03:21:21 pm »
Kaz,
I am going to join but will need your help tomorrow with a couple of questions on the membership form.
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 03:36:06 pm »
No prob. That's if the place is still standing tomorrow as we are getting really battered here today.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 08:30:56 pm »
My sheep are Rylands. Just because they are not part of the society anymore does not mean anything. The proof does not have to come from being registered
We started with registered stock and have always used registered Rams.
The Flock Book Soc were always involved in in fighting which we refused to be a part of. It would seem that just because we didnt swell the coffers of the Soc with our money, our sheep become outcasts. I dont think so!
The nastiness obviously still goes on then. Glad not to be a part of it.

Sorry, Amanda, if I sounded like a snotty, up myself Ryeland breeder - didn't mean to. It was badly put if you thought that.

I do think though that it's important that purebred animals are registered, regardless of the politics of the particular association, so that they are kept in the gene pool for the breed which, like it or not, depends on registration.

I agree with kaz that the RFBS does seem to have changed a lot in the last few years and is much better now. I do still feel like a second class citizen though, as a breeder of coloured sheep which are still seen as second rate by many white breeders. In fact the Society is just about to spend several thousand pounds on genetic research basically into the coloured gene (however it's dressed up as looking at other genetic issues like entropion) so that white breeders can eliminate it from white flocks - thus avoiding the DISASTER of white sheep throwing the odd coloured lamb.

Amandawood

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 10:21:32 pm »
Our sheep remain purebred regardless of the RFBS.
They(the sheep) and we (as well as all other coloured Ryland owners) are not second class. Its a matter of what you like the look of and we loved the Coloured Rylands.
Apology accepted Rosemary and I am sure also that it was just badly put.
Amanda

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 10:44:26 pm »
I've got a Ryeland ram for sale - I'm afraid he's white though, also quite tame, well very tame to be honest he's from registered stock but not registered himself,  all of which seem to be faults. Oh well I'll have to try and offload him on some unsuspecting buyer in an Autumn rare breed sale somewhere.  :innocent:
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 03:22:29 pm »
I have sent you a message Amandawood. I am very interested in the sheep as a flock. It would be a shame to split them. I am not worried about the registrations as unregistered wool is just as good. I already have an unreg coloured ryeland girl who is a treasure.
Please email me or message me if you have not sold them already.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS