Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: do I need a tractor?  (Read 15588 times)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: do I need a tractor?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 02:44:43 pm »
Worth thinking about splitting the workload between regular and occasional. Some work can be contracted out, regular work is worth getting the equipment. Last thing you want is stuff lying around rusting and taking up space, or something too big that uses a ton of fuel.

Mind you there is the 'boy's toy' factor !

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 04:07:28 pm »
We have an old Fergie (almost 60 years old I think ) we could'nt do without her. she is  used to move round bales of hay and straw. OH made a sprayer for her so is also used to keep the farm road free of weeds. He does the paddocks as well. We have a little trailer that goes on the back and this is used when we are clearing the paddocks of droppings after the winter. Every smallholder needs one  :thumbsup:

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 08:25:03 am »
I agree with Small Farmer, I have had a Fergie (1947) International 275 Izeke and now a chinese tractor.
The chinese tractor is a stockman 282 I have had it about 3 years with out too much problem. Probably my favourite was the fergie but it was 60 years old when I sold it. Sometimes it took a bit of starting.
The Izeke was unfortunately a grey import and the spares were harder to find.
I use the tractors all year round but at topping time and during the winter putting out hay especially after work the tractor saves alot of time and effort. The rest of the year I use it to clean out the shed after lambing shifting hurdles etc. But there are so many jobs for the tractor and transport box to mention.

The Kubota does look and from what I hear a good tractor. But like everything its what you can afford.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 03:23:16 pm »
4 acres? Tractor? I suppose it depends how you define 'need, really. :innocent:

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 10:30:51 pm »
Get an STX 500 Quadtrac... it's what I want (suitable for 5 acres, right?) :D
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Julestools

• Joined Mar 2013
  • In my shed
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 10:56:14 pm »
You would need 5 acres to park it on. You may even be able to turn it round too, And the 400hp engine would bring on global warming on its own but i find simple is best.... I had four Fergy 20s  :P

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 01:07:41 pm »
I said last year I'd report back on that Land Legend DH bought.  To be honest it's been nothing but trouble, every time he goes out on it, he comes back in cursing that something else just broke off.  He was picking up the base of a pig pen (light wood, so not heavy) with the teeth grab thingy - and something snapped.  There is evidence of rust under this welding point.  Shouldn't be rusty there if it's new right?  Anyhoo.  More trouble than it's worth.  Just say'n.

Julestools

• Joined Mar 2013
  • In my shed
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 01:54:38 am »
That's just poor penetration when welding and not really a problem. Probably welded with insufficiant current. Every farmer has a welder (dont they?) I was assembling new nets (a kit like Ikea) at the Cricket Club last week and every other weld was failing due to poor preparation/welding. I had to go home for the Mig and re weld the brackets. They don't make things like they used to

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS