Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trough Recommendations Please  (Read 7309 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Trough Recommendations Please
« on: May 30, 2012, 07:22:36 am »

We have various water points in our fields, but the troughs they used to serve have long since rusted away. So, since we have a plumber coming shortly to renew our domestic supply, we thought we'd replace all the troughs at the same time, since carrying buckets across the fields is getting to be a real pain!

Can anybody recommend what trough or cup drinkers we'd be best installing?

I need three suitable for sheep and horses, and one suitable for weaner / grower pigs, but it would be nice if that could serve sheep and horses too if possible.

They need to run at mains pressure, and also be legal (e.g. I expect I need to install a double non-return valve at the start of the farm pipework if there isn't one there already, but can anybody advise on the current regulations?)

Many thanks!

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Trough Recommendations Please
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 07:53:23 am »
We have half a dozen moveable double troughs of the sort you can easily get - heres one place http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/jfc-plastic-double-water-trough.

We connect them with ordinary hose connectors so they're easy to disconnect, empty and clean out.  They'e robust and are undamaged after freezing solid every one of the last three winters.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:48:16 am »
We've got jfc 10 gallon troughs like the ones in the link. They seem to be lasting fine although we haven't had them long (two years). We don't connect ours up - we have a bit of hose from the tap into the trough because I like to empty, clean and refill them every day. And someone told us that if you connect them to the supply, you have to get a water meter, so we've never bothered. It's easy enough to fill them when you're checking stock anyway.

I find the 10 gallon is fine for the 11 ewes and 11 lambs - that only needs filled once daily. For three cattle, I have to refill it twice a day on hot days. I now have 2 x 10 gallon troughs in the field that the cows are in.

Never used these ones for pigs - think it would be a bit high for small weaners and I'd be worried that one got in and couldn't get out. We use a 6ft galvo trough for pigs water - they can't coup it easily because it's pretty heavy.

HTH

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:48:45 am »
water regulations  if you ask the water board then you are alerting them to whatever system you are using they Cary spare meters with them and if your water supply has been updated the fitting is already there for the meter    that was the whole point of updating the system to get the meter fittings fitted just in preparation :farmer:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 02:27:07 pm »
You need a water meter for fixed troughs. About £1 a fill. Pipework freezes solid as well and even plastic can burst. Yes you need a double check valve on the supply and an isolator. I'd connect them with standard garden hose so it can be removed in Winter, or drained and taken in. Switch it off at night  Put an adjustable pressure reducing valve on the supply and set it to one bar. Trouble is the fittings leak much higher and ours was at 5 bar and water all over the place. There is a single check valve in the pressure reducer, so you need another single. Set them at least two metres from the outside tap to allow for expansion on freezing outside or fit a drain tap on the pipe work and slope all towards it.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:34:06 pm »

Thanks all.  The metering etc is all fine, but I'm going to install another double check valve inline just to make sure that side is OK.

I have to say, I rather like the idea of the cup drinkers - easy to clean, and less unwieldy overall.  However, most seem to run only from a header tank (is this for operational reasons, or legal reasons I wonder, such as the lack of at 'type 2' air gap?).

This one, from Supplies for Smallholders  :thumbsup: is the only one I've found that says it can be used under mains pressure, but I wonder if it would be too small for the horses to use?

Any thoughts?

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 01:53:40 pm »
JFC do plastic version and a nose drinker where the horse operates a sprung tap though it can be a little startling if the pressure is too high.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 02:21:37 pm »
The only drawback I see with the ones you've shown in the last 2 pictures is how difficult it might be to clean them when pigs have been in with mucky snouts  ;)  Especially if they're fixed in one position  :-\

If you google Fisher Alvin (I'm not able to post links as the right button on my mouse is gubbed  ::) ) you'll see that they do one with a plug at the bottom (or maybe it's GE Barker  ??? ) so making emptying and cleaning easier  :thumbsup:  They also offer a mains version and a header tank version  ;)
Don't be put off by the fact there are no prices - just request a quote or give them a phone, they're not too expensive.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 03:16:27 pm »
dead easy to clean out with your hand and you can also use a small amount of straw to get the dirt out as well this the type we use  jfc are a bit more fiddly with the float  the metal ones are about £22 the last time i asked :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 05:04:23 pm »

Thanks all,

I phoned Fisher Alvin, who recommended their 9 litre A103, square drinker, which is designed to run off the mains (with internal NRV) and also has a drain plug for cleaning.

Perhaps not as easy to clean / scoop out as the ones above, but a good compromise for our needs I hope.

Watch this space, and I'll report back later!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 11:06:16 am »
I just install 30 gallon double sided plastic troughs - they hardly ever need cleaning as the s**t settles on the bottom unless disturbed. All the time.  This disturbance happens if you have no constant water supply and re-fill on a day to day basis or when it runs low.

I buy the 30 gallon ones as they only need a few stones in the bottom to make them 'lamb drowning' proof.

The water board came up here the other week to check my supply for 'back drainage' - I told him where the fields where - he had a cup of tea and a chat then left saying 'see you in five years' - he didnt even leave the front garden.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 12:31:22 pm »
For our pigs we use JCF DT10 troughs
Tough as old boots and stand up to piggy destruction!
Do freeze up in winter.

http://www.jfcuk.com/WaterTroughs.html#panel1

HTH
mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS