Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Fruit Tree problems  (Read 3283 times)

Minerva

• Joined May 2012
New Fruit Tree problems
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:45:29 pm »
I had 3 fruit trees delivered at the beginning of April, from a well-known plant supplier:  Victoria Plum, Large Early Apricot, and Imperial Gage.

They are compact, 2 year-olds and bare-rooted, so I removed the damp packing, and soaked the roots for 2 hours, then planted each into a large pot, at the soil level below the grafts.  I mixed a slight sprinkle of BFB in the compost at the bottom of each pot.  They are given a good watering daily.

The Gage has not yet woken up, but the tiny buds are firm.  The Apricot and Victoria are awake and bursting into leaf, but they are also producing leaves from all the buds on their trunks, ABOVE the rootstocks.  Is this normal, or should I be rubbing them out?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: New Fruit Tree problems
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:58:39 pm »
It is normal. I rub them out on my new saplings as I don't want low branches.
 :farmer:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 04:05:26 pm »
I bought 2 apple trees in April and they are just coming into leaf and flower now. The heat last week has helped.

Minerva

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:03:00 pm »
Thank you OhLaLa and Sabrina:thumbsup:

I'll just water, watch and wait!  ;)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:27:06 pm »
Minerva, when you say compact, do you mean on dwarfing root stock?  I've been looking for a greengage on dwarfing RS.  If that's what you've got can you let me know where you got it, please.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:21:39 pm »
Keep your fingers crossed. I would have thought that April is a tad late for lifting and replanting bare rooted trees.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS