Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Noisy wind turbine  (Read 4843 times)

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Noisy wind turbine
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:15:55 pm »
Driving along the A487 between Fishguard and St Davids last week I noticed a new wind turbine in a field so stopped for a look.  From about 200m I was struck by quite how noisy it was.  Not only was there the whoosh-thump from the blades turning but it was making a loud and intrusive whine. 

I'd heard of turbines making nearby people's live miserable but never before encountered a really noisy one.

Does anyone know what causes this effect, and is it common?  It was a quite large but not huge one.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Noisy wind turbine
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:04:55 am »
I know he noise you mean, it gets straight to the back of my head.  A high pitched whir, a bit like tinnitus I should imagine. There is a turbine on the hill behind my house  that makes the noise, you cant hear it away from  buildings but the buildings 'catch ' the sound, a few folk have complained to the environmental health and they have been up to monitor it but i dont know what has happened about it. It only ever worked for a week and has been broken ever since.  ::) 

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:52:35 am »
some of them had an inbuilt fault the manufacturer went tits up and they the owners have been left out of pocket with nobody to compensate them     i think it was the blades that cracked :farmer:

Bangbang

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:16:10 pm »
I was just informed yesterday that an application for an 80m high turbine with 45m blades has been submitted to the planning office. It is to locate 700m from my cottage. I have been asked to put in an objection by other neigbours. I'm a little concerned, but I think the're nice and calming, and as I'm going deaf anyway so I probably wont hear it.
Other objections to turbines up here have been ignored by Aberdeenshire Council and I don't see this one as being any different. To be honest though, they are growing like weeds up here. :-\

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:53:36 am »
some of them had an inbuilt fault the manufacturer went tits up and they the owners have been left out of pocket with nobody to compensate them     i think it was the blades that cracked :farmer:

That'll be me.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 08:42:16 am »
I've heard of others with bearing problems.  I went past the same turbine again last week with a strong wind blowing.  Wouldn't want to live within a kilometer of the noisy brute.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 06:03:02 pm »
thats a faulty turbine. the most you should hear isa wush wushing sound.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 12:04:08 pm »
I have 7  around my area now and cannot say I have noticed noise but there will be bigger ones going up not far from me so will be interesting to hear them. Most of the farms around here have or are getting them.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 05:03:08 pm »
I think we are going to be surrounded by them! A lot of crofters on the whole of the westside are having visits from solicitors about land ownership from a turbine company.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS