Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: old cow milking tether - any one have one?  (Read 3779 times)

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
old cow milking tether - any one have one?
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:24:08 pm »
hi there - i am really keeping goats but i am in need of the dold tyle tether that they have in the old milking sheds any one have any ideas where i can get one? or have one? i may just have to get one made by the blacksmiths...

thank you :)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: old cow milking tether - any one have one?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:34:59 am »
Yes I have a spare cow chain from an old dairy , I take it you mean the neck chain that held the cow in the stall while you milked.  Pm for details

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 01:46:36 pm »
Still using ours!   :D  Not for wintering - they have cubicles and cow mattresses, would you believe, now - nor for restraint for vet etc - it's all locking yokes now - but still used daily for house cow(s) for milking.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 08:12:25 pm »
if you have one - would you sel it to me - i have added a rather rough (really rubish) pictureof what im looking for ....

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 08:34:53 pm »
that i think is the slider that the chain slides on  usually bolted in pairs through the trevis  (division) :farmer:
i think i have one ot two will look tomorow if that is what you want :farmer: 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:43:16 pm by robert waddell »

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 10:10:49 pm »
that would be fab! cant seem to get them any more - could be useful for me milking a flighty goat on my own twice a day! :)  :goat:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:01:49 am »
We took out most of our old stalls and still have the dividing panels, with sliders, awaiting redeployment.  If robert or tizaala can't help, shout and I can have a looksee if any of them are accessible and will come off.   Not sure how we'd get one to Wales, mind... :-\
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:32:59 am »
If it's only for tethering a goat , then why not use a horse tie up ring , We have collars on all our goats and the milking stand has a simple clip on arrangement like a lead rope , after all ,you're not anchoring the QE2. Keep it short to restrict head movement to the feed bucket only , she will soon get the idea. One of our togs was a maiden milker and would leap about and kick the teet cups off for the first three days, then she got used to the routine and now lifts her leg for you to pass the pipework under.
A cow chain will be too big for a goat, but a dog collar gives you control.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:00:59 am by tizaala »

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 10:37:12 am »
poppy you have pm :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS