Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blood sample  (Read 6990 times)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Blood sample
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:35:01 am »
We have got two vets coming out to take a blood sample from one of out gilts in the morning. Has anyone else had this done? any advice would be good!
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

HappyHippy

Re: Blood sample
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:43:45 am »
A can of beer to chill her out - an hour before the vet is due  ;)  or a shot of stresnil once they get there (beer's better though IMHO)
Try if you can, to construct a very small pen or crush using gates/hurdles (don't give her room to move or turn round in it and try to have the side open so the vet can get in there to take the sample rather than going in from the top) and if you have a wooden brush shank, she'll bite on this and you can use it to keep her head still (in the absence of having a snare for her mouth/snout)
Try to stay relaxed yourself too (easier said than done, I know  ::) ;) ) but she'll pick up if you're stressed - so deep breaths to soothe both of you and just keep talking to her to keep her calm.
Good luck  :thumbsup:
Karen x

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:38:28 am »
I was thinking of a bottle of vodka for me! the vets plan to use a snare, never seen one used before but sure she won't like it! then it will be stabbing to find the jugular. Will see if i can find some sheep hurdles as we don't have any. They are housed in a stable so plenty of room for her to give us the run around! Thanks Karen
Will keep you updated!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:20:21 am »
As long as you keep her 'contained' she'll not get too stressed.
The snare goes over the snout and no, they don't like it much  :(  but it does do a good job of keeping the head still (important when you're working with needles and at the sharp end of the pig ;) )
It'll all be fine - just remember, it's for her own good, 5 minutes of stress for a lifetime of health and happieness  :thumbsup:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 11:32:34 am »
Hi
Just nosy can i ask why they're doing a blood test?
Mandy  :pig:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:34:51 am »
Thanks Karen I was a veterinary nurse for 18yrs so know the priciples but still difficult as never taught about large animals. Just want to do the right thing for her and hopefully get a diagnosis and the right treatment.
Once again thanks for the info and suggestions  ;D

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:39:49 am »
Mandy
Both my girls have had temps of up to 39 degrees  on and off since last July Been treated with Finadyne and pen & strep which did seem to sort it. Then one had a nasal discharge which i swabbed and sent to the lab, came back as fungal so treated with Baytril inj and Nystan in Sept. Then in April all started again with high temps Had suggested blood test but vets were not keen, rang them again this week and they have agreed to do a blood sample, so we can hopefully get to the bottom of the problem.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 12:18:15 pm »
All done!
After a lot of barking my OH managed to attach the snare the vet got the blood on first attempt. But what a noise. She is still talking to us so no lasting damage thank god ;D  Her sister carried on sleeping in the other stable, didn't even come and see if she was okay!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:36:45 pm »
Glad all went well, hope this brings an answer to this problem and that there is a solution readily available.
mandy  :pig:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 12:37:45 pm »
Thanks Mandy. how is your boy doing?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 12:49:42 pm »
Good to hear she is non the worse for her ordeal.  :thumbsup:
Sisters! Obviously the same in the animal kingdom as ours  ::)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 12:50:30 pm »
Up and about but still very wobbly and the new drugs have upset his tummy :(  but wearing cut off socks to stop rubbing the skin off his knees as when he gets tired he drops onto them. looks like an Olympic pig! Slow progress but looks to be going the right way. Thanks for asking
ps mammy shaz agree on the sister thing!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 12:59:22 pm »
Also agree with the sister thing ;D
Mandy could you give him so probiotics for his tum? can we have a pic of the olympic pig? bless him hope he carries on making good progress :pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 09:32:09 am »
MUch better this morning. had a read of the antibiotics bottle and upset tummy is one of the side affects but says it should settle in day or so, he is much firmer this morning! Had all his breakfast c/w metacam and has been plastered with sudocrem on sore knees and socks replaced (HEAD ones today) and trotters sprayed with terramycin and is snoring his head off in a big soft bed of new straw, had a mammy hug and i've come to work for a rest! ;D
Will try to get a phot of him later.
ps forgot to add he's on electrolytes as well as i was worried he wasn't drinking enough, hes one well looked after pig!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 10:59:09 am »
Glad he is making good progress, pleased to hear he changes his socks each day! sounds like he is as pampered as ours. Can't beat a piggie cuddle  minus the mud of course! I've just been out and plastered mine in sun cream as we have sun!! and the wallow seems to miss them. Sudocream is great stuff looking forward to the :pig: photo

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS