Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Storage and Serving of loose milled pig food  (Read 8856 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Storage and Serving of loose milled pig food
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 01:59:49 pm »
Ah, didn't know that, thanks.

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 02:06:38 pm »
for 3 tons a year i would not bother we use in the region of 18 tons and yes there could be a saving on cost but a big expense on hoppers bins or silos   even secondhand then the dust and working in that dust
allright feeding it when the ground is dry  what happens when the ground is slabber and the meal is lost
how much of a saving is there per ton :farmer:
1500 ton a year  so it is much cheaper than pellets.  I can buy seconds grain and have the nutritionist adjust the diet to suit....keeping the pigs lean for market.

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 02:08:28 pm »
Thank you Robert,

I've just done a search on eBay and see their are a couple of 2 tonne (second hand) hoppers for sale - initial price around £75 - £90 with some work needed plus collection.

So, as you say, in all probability the saving is probably not sufficient to make it cost effective.

Worth investigating though ....

Pete
Silos come in 1 ton up to 500 ton capacity........ and big dollars/pounds to go with it.

You could also build a shed to hold your grain in and auger it in to your mill from there.

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 02:10:04 pm »
At three tons a year I'd stick with the bags too.  Do you get them in bulk though? My local agri store will order in half a ton to a ton of nuts for me (about once a month) and I  pay about a quid fifty less per bag than they charge if you buy them in twos or threes. They forklift the pallet on to the back of my pickup and off we go, just the unloading at home to worry about - simples.  :pig:
If you have a hopper or a silo they can blow them across. Just leave the lid off for a day or so for them to dry out!!

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 02:12:06 pm »
I get mine loose from the local feed guy, I just take 5 old feed feed backs and we shovle it in, £20 in his top pocket! Store it in a cleaned out wheelie bin, feed it in a trough. Works out cheaper. I don't use loads, only have 4 to 6 weaners at a time. Don't know if every feed supplier would be happy with the arangement but I suspect he dosen't but the £20 through the books and its just a bit of pocket money!
They are not worried about contamination taking old feed bags back and reusing them?

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 02:13:31 pm »
i use between 8 and 10 tonnes a year and stick with bagged because its easier for me to control, i get a tonne pallet at a time (2 if they have an offer on) its delivered to the door and stacked in my feed house couldn't ask for a better service - Thompsons of York.
Have looked into going down loose feed route but fear about vermin and control put me off.
mandy
That is silos are are great choice.

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 09:11:24 pm »
We get our feed loose, 3 tonnes approx every 6 weeks.  We get it blown into a shipping container  :) .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS