Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chainsaw clothing part 2  (Read 3421 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
chainsaw clothing part 2
« on: May 21, 2012, 07:39:13 am »
I said I would post pic when I got all my chainsaw stuff. Got to use it all yesterday for the first time. my new boot, trousers, braces (you can't see because they are under my jumper) and my hard hat.

Sorry if spelling is crap, spell check not playing  ::)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Re: chainsaw clothing part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 07:42:19 am »
So, what brand did you go for in the end?

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:01:04 am »
HAIX boots, Oregon hard hat, Sip Protection freedom1 trousers.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:28:37 am »
Wot about the gloves!!!

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 07:09:11 am »
what about gloves? found them to cumbersome and there for dangerous so don't use them. weather gloves should or should not be worn is a debate I'm not getting into.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 07:42:49 am »
I am no expert. On my chainsaw course the instructor (long year's working in the woodland/tree surgeon business not just a classroom geek) was most keen to insist on wearing gloves at all times when dealing with the saw as he says the commonest injuries are to the hands albeit these may be more minor than the major limb/trunk/head and neck injuries. It is easy to cut yourself on the blade when dismantling chain/bar and doing the sharpening eg moving chain round during sharpening. I got some fairly cheap Stihl gloves with that stuff on the back that is meant to jam the blade, and although a little cumbersome are certainly not too bad. Plus it helps to have gloves when shifting the wood around. Yes I know that being careful is the best protection but I bet you could find some gloves that suit you

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:42:48 am »
Echo above, Bert - I have some Husquevarna (no idea if thats you spell it)  ones which come in quite a small size and are comfy.  As well as having the chainsnaging stuff on the back they help with the vibration if using for longish periods too :) .  Such a habit after my course that I would feel really vulnerable if I sawed without any of my gear (although I would love to swap my oversized wellies and chaps) and as Simon says - I dont see any of the pros around here without any of it either.  Happy sawing - its a great feeling isnt it! :thumbsup:

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:17:52 am »
to me it seams daft not to wear the gloves when you have all the rest of the gear
but then i don't have any safety gear and doubt if i ever will and just highlights the problem with safety gear on fitment and movement once you buy it
the professionals well if they don't use full protection  they can be barred from forestry ground
all saws now have anti vibration handles and i think it is illegal to use one that is not fitted with dampers
my old McCullouch does not have anti vibration handles and yes i did get uvf white finger when using it and does not add to my aliments now   there is a specified time you can use tools that can cause white finger and a specified rest break betwean operating them :farmer:

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:19:52 am »
the gloves is an odd thing, when i worked in forestry someone told me we were the only country to insist they are worn (never actually checked this, and am unlikely to ever check it out). Oddly enough, climbers are not required to wear gloves, presumably cos it's not easy to tie knots wearing them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS