Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ploughs  (Read 3949 times)

Simple Simon

Ploughs
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:03:20 pm »
I have a two furrow Ferguson plough which needs a great deal of work done it.  The coulters are rusted solid and there are no skimmers while one of the shares is shattered.  Yet it kinda seems to know what it should do even though it can't.

I borrowed a modern single furrow reversible Italian plough and it's possibly designed for a smaller tractor but it kinda has no idea what it's doing, and lacks a coulter which makes it pointless on my weed filled land.  I could get no depth to the furrow and it liked sliding across the grass.

Most of the ploughs on ebay are pretty scrotty or too far away but I saw a disc plough advertised.  What is this and what's it used for?

robert waddell

Re: Ploughs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:05:05 pm »
is this a modern disc plough or an old one bamford did make them at one time :farmer:

Simple Simon

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:11:44 pm »
Second hand Ransomes but looks modern

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:41:48 pm »
did not think that ransomes made a disc plough   unless you mean disc skimmers  i will post a pic of the bamford disc plough tomorrow :farmer:

Simple Simon

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:04:38 pm »
Here's the pic, and from a firm who know their ploughs

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:34:28 pm »
yep that is a disc plough :farmer:

Simple Simon

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:52:55 am »
So what's the difference between it and an mouldboard plough?  Is is used for a different job or will it do the same job.  It obviously lacks a plough share.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 05:31:42 am »
My understanding of Disc Ploughs, from my David Brown literature is that they were built for export to countries with arid conditions and hard ground. There is an article in one of the more recent DB magazines about a farmer in Scotland ? (I think) who uses one of these "very rare" ploughs.
I do not think that a disc plough would be generally suitable for your requirements.
Personally I would rebuild the Fergy plough. It will do the job correctly on a smaller tractor and will always be worth what you put into it. There are plenty of suppliers out there who can help with advice and parts.
Westlake Plough Spares on tinter net or
Emyr "Eric" Townend 07894987584
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 11:15:44 am »
thanks odin i knew i had info on them will get the teckie ones to post the leaflet on here  latter today it explains all :farmer:

Malcolmmg2

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 10:08:06 am »
Disc ploughs are widely used in tropical agriculture where they perform the same function as a mouldboard plough.  However they are not so good at total trash burial, so leave more trash poking up to the surface.  This is good in the tropics as the trash reduces the speed at which water runs across the field and so reduces erosion and aids water retention.  In temperate climates this is not so necessary and can be a disadvantage if you want to use ploughing as a weed control method..

Other differences
the shape of the disc produces a rounded bottom to the cultivation rather that the flat bottom achieved by a mouldboard so can reduce the tendency for panning,

better able to plough curves for contour ploughing .  T

he turned furrow will be more broken, and if used at speed can get close to a seed bed. 

They also roll over objects in the ground so are good in newly cleared land.

BUT they are PIGS  to set it all revolves around the angles and pressure on the land wheel at the rear, that is meant to counteract the sideways thrust of the discs, its function is that of the landside on a moldboard plough.. 

I hope this helps, I wish you luck with it but i would advice not buying it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS