Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No, they are not free!!  (Read 2646 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
No, they are not free!!
« on: May 14, 2012, 11:57:55 pm »
I have my goat kids advertised, and have got buyers for some of them - subject to them collecting and paying of course :)  I have put what I consider a reasonable price on them (£80 each).  Yet, people still seem to think they can have them for nothing (or a tenner!).

As anyone who has bred from their goats know, the milk they consume is costly, then there is everything else ....feed, hay, bedding, innoculations, worming, etc. etc.  not to mention my time doing all these things!!!  I doubt I am actually making a profit at this price.

When I pointed this out to the "objectors to paying" I think the penny dropped why they are not free!!  I also have doubts that some people would get them for nothing and then sell them on.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: No, they are not free!!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 12:14:30 am »
Or if they kept them that they would look after them properly.  If they are not prepared to pay the going rate for an animal then they clearly don't value that animal.  What cheek too - expecting not to pay  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 12:24:34 am »
IMHO if they won't pay the animal fee then they wont pay the  husbandry fee. Hell only knows how they would be kept!  :o Best to refuse and wait for more suited owners.  :goat:
Wish I had somewhere for a little one or two, the day will come eventually, I hope.

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 06:49:51 pm »
I had the same problems - loads of interest but as soon as you mention the price they say oh thats too expensive, one woman wanted two for £50...cheek after vaccinations, disbudding, worming e.t.c i felt offended!!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:04:53 pm »
I agree totally - a lot of time and effort goes into breeding a good healthy kid of any type - I would hold off for the right buyer (even if it's a bit of a logistical pain in the but at times). Whenever I've bought in stock I pay the going rate and expect a quality animal that I will love and look after. Stick to your guns Roxy
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 12:24:46 am »
I'm with you there.  Ask if they try to get things for free in Tesco.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 01:09:29 am »
My animals are my life, and I think the world of them.  I find it very hard to part with any of them.  The home is more important than the price if I am honest, but on the other hand, if they pay for something, hopefully they will care for it.

If at all possible, I will deliver the goats to their new home, so I can satisty myself its the right place.  Likewise, if the people do not come across as right, then the goats stay with me!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS