Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mineral licks  (Read 19649 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Mineral licks
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 08:37:49 pm »
Don't worry.....I will still be around......but just not as much......got tonnes and tonnes of wool to process.....
and I have to bow, my knees just wouldn't manage a curtsey ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

gavin

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 07:08:14 pm »
I bought ours a yellow Rockie lick - it was £2.35 plus a couple fo quid for a holder. The sheep lick away at it if they want to and they do sometimes.
hello i was wondering  what lick is the best hope to her back

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 10:38:41 am »
I bought ours a yellow Rockie lick - it was £2.35 plus a couple fo quid for a holder. The sheep lick away at it if they want to and they do sometimes.

hello i was wondering  what lick is the best

Get a lick especially for sheep, not one of the horse mineral licks. They contain too much copper for sheep.

:sheep:

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 11:32:37 am »
I bought a lick for my sheep about 3 weeks ago but they haven't touched it has anyone else had this problem?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 06:34:05 pm »
We normally have two or three different licks out at a time depending on whats needed - there is nothing better (or funnier) than the gals coming for their normal feed with their chops covered in brown licky stuff.

We have a few which seem to live in the licks - I wonder if they self medicate? Or are just mad? ;)

As beginners we take advise off of our friendly neighbour - we are pretty clueless too when it comes to looking for whats needed for sheep in the fine print :)

One thing I have learned is that you cant scrimp and save if you want top quality and looked after animals - even if you think your 4 will not 'eat' all the lick - you have to get one.  Its not been wasted even if you only use half as your bunch will need the other half.

Ta

Baz

waterhouse

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 10:46:26 pm »
I bought a lick for my sheep about 3 weeks ago but they haven't touched it has anyone else had this problem?
We put out the Crystallyx Smallholder bucket and they all ignored it for two or three weeks but it has started to go down now.  Perhaps they just have to get the idea

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 07:35:49 pm »
I have had a SUPAlyx Magnesium out in the field since October and it's only half gone - there was 8 ewes/lambs for a month and then 3 ewe lambs since then, but I rarely seen any of them having a lick, think most of it has washed away with rain.  On the other hand I've had  SUPAlyx Super Energy Plus with Fish Oil tubs out with the tup and 5 ewes since Nov and they have gone through 2 the 2nd one in a fortnight and now are on their 3rd which I'm now restricting to opening it up twice a day, after their little bit of hard feed.  I think they were begining to OD on it. On the bucket they say offer adlib 1 bucket per 35 ewes. ???
Ram has first go (a male thing!!) then I tell him thats enough and he backs off and stands there just looking, then the girls take it in turns -with a bit of head butting and pushing by Molly whose a suffolk cross (was a 'molly'/orphan lamb in her previous life).  It does mean I have to stand there in charge for 15 mins but I'm surprised how as I say thats enough they back off and the next one takes their turn.  At the end I put the lid on and say All Gone and they all turn and go off to eat the hay.

Sheep can be such funny things :sheep: :sheep:

You are never to old to learn something new

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS