Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mineral licks  (Read 19648 times)

DavidnChris

Mineral licks
« on: April 18, 2009, 12:40:44 pm »
I've just got two ewes and each has a single lamb. I am told to get a mineral lick. The one I was shown was a big buckets worth for 2 / 4 animals. Can I get a smaller one? The suppliers where I've just been are closed so couldn't get any ideas there. Also would it be a cheaper option to buy a bag of sheep food to try to get the ewes to come to me rather than buy a dog. Haven't the energy to chase them round when I need to pen them for worming, drenching, clipping, trimming feet. etc. etc.
Thanks,
David.

New to sheep. Very much flying by the seat of my pants but with help available from my supplier, would prefer not to have to keep pestering him though.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Mineral licks
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 12:58:50 pm »
For such a small amount of sheep a dog is not necessary. Mine are all trained to come for food, and you can train them to have a harness on which will help you no end.
I tend to buy a block mineral lick as tubs are quite expensive, but you need a container for them and they are quite heavy.
Local agricultural suppliers are there to help, but don't let them talk you into buying something that you don't really want or can afford as at the end of the day they run a business. :sheep:
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:00:53 pm »
It all depends what minerals your ground is lacking in? ask your neighbouring farmer what he/she uses. Your supplier will also help you, the buckets/tubs come in 20kilos don't worry they are not to big and your sheep will soon get through them, we use a variety of brands "crystalyx" "uniblock" there is also "rockies" mineral licks.

Buy a bag of cake and feed a little to them every 2 or 3 days if you want to, but bear in mind the object of your exercise is to get them to come to you not feed them up, with good grass on its way they don't need feeding, put a trough in the field put a bit of cake in it and walk away they will soon find it, you'll find after a couple of weeks they'll be knocking you over for it, don't overfeed them and if you want you can then stop and leave it for a while, don't worry they will soon remember the rattle of the bucket or bag!! May I suggest the best dog option is the plastic one!! ie: the bucket or the bag to get them to follow you. You haven't got enough sheep to warrant a working dog, it not fair on the dog when all he wants to do is work and you only have 4 sheep!!   

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 01:05:51 pm »
My block feed is a Rumevite spper energy for sheep. That lasts if I'm lucky 2days. So they get one once a week , the greedy pigs. :)
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:31:41 pm »
Forgot to say, remember there is a big difference between "feed" blocks and mineral licks they do different things, we use feed blocks only over winter and pre and post lambing to help "feed" the ewes when they need it most, then change over spring/onwards to mineral licks that don't "feed" the ewe only supply the trace element minerals lacking in your area. 

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 01:50:17 pm »
You will not need a mineral bucket at this time of the year...the grass is growing!!!

To get them tame get a trough, put a small mugful or less of ewe nuts in it and shake well to get their attention and put in trough and retreat out of sight. they will investigate and its like giving a kid sweets.....they will soon want to come for more. Do this every day for a week and they will soon be knocking you over to reach the trough before you do!

Once you have them trained like this catching them for routine jobs is easy.....unless primitives .....but thats another story....

I have had up to 150 sheep at any one time and only once had a sheepdog....who hated sheep and preferred herding cows, so never went near the sheep without causing mayhem..........
I prefer bucket trained sheep ;D ;D ;D
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 05:52:11 pm »
I beg to differ "thewoollyshepherd" it all depends on the individuals land/ground/stock levels, you could have the best grass in Britain, but if its lacking in vital trace elements, mineral licks/buckets do help, we farm 1700 ewes and we do have minerals out. However I agree, with such a small amount a sheep a odd cup full of cake should suffice.   

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 07:08:10 pm »
You must have a hill farm with that amount of sheep. I would not give my sheep mineral licks over the summer period and my lowland grass is full of just about everything good for sheep.

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 07:48:50 pm »
No, a lowland farm, we have soil samples taken, and adjust deficiency accordingly then rectify with relavant dressing and or minerals, thats your choice not to feed mineral licks and if it works for you fine, but as I said you can have the best looking grass in Britain but it doesn't follow that its not missing something. We have just lambed at 189% which I'm happy with, it has steadily grown each year with our improvements of soil/grass quality and breeding. Each to their own and whatever works for your farm/smallholding..     

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 10:40:33 pm »
No probs Pentre, but grassland management is one of my 'qualifications' and I agree that if you have a problem with a certain deficiency you must do something.....however what many would see as 'the best grass in Britain' may be a mono culture green crop of #### which actually is not much good for sheep.

Mixed species grassland is what sheep thrive in and the mixed species all do jobs of 'fixing' minerals etc. The only places problems should occur is with over stocking or on known deficient grounds which are actually far and few between. I have spent years running good sheep that thrive, have a 180 - 200% lambing average and finish on grass........I get good prices in the market too for example today I had some moderate sheep in the market with lambs (my last lot as I am finishing with livestock) and they were over £100 for full mouth doubles and the lambs were 2 weeks old!! I also got £90 for a ewe and single!......so even with good prices at the mo I do know a little bit!

At this time of the year most people should, if they are not overstocked, be able to manage without too many extras like expensive tubs, providing their management is good!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 09:30:42 am »
I bought ours a yellow Rockie lick - it was £2.35 plus a couple fo quid for a holder. The sheep lick away at it if they want to and they do sometimes.

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 09:35:58 am »
Yep woolyshepherd hear what you say and as said whatever works for you and your farm/smallholding. Perhaps I should have gone to your mart to buy ewes and lambs, yours seemed pretty cheap to me, we have just sold cull ewes at a crazy £119 a piece, and a small number of 3rd crop strong ewes with twin lambs at foot (April born) at £187.00. Like you say prices are good and I also know a little bit!!  

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 10:24:58 am »
 ;D ;D I did say moderate ewes ;D ;D ;D ;D

I bow to your obvious greater experience.....I am getting out of livestock after nearly 30 years for personal reasons so will ot be around much ;)

www.valgrainger.co.uk

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 03:24:06 pm »
please 'woolly',  dont disappear...

.....I have my 'woolly' radar on when i log in....and read your advice with great interest. People with years of experience will keep us newbies from making silly, or downright catastrophic mistakes!! I have earned so very much from being on the forum. Your input into my sheep's welfare, albeit from a distance, is definitely valued.

In fact that goes for all the experienced shepherds on the forum. By being there you are potentially giving a ewe, lamb or tup immediate protection from silly mistakes. Thank you!
Emma x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 08:02:53 pm »
Shouldn't it be a curtsy "Wooly" rather than a bow!! but surely it is I that should be bowing to you with your obvious greater experience of years.. I am sure your livestock and the site will miss your input deeply.. Please enjoy whatever you decide to do...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS