Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sad day :0(  (Read 6109 times)

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: Sad day :0(
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 09:32:08 pm »
I have two bottle lambs still and no time to do them really.  I am just between hemyock and Wellington if you are interested.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 10:45:52 pm »

Thanks guys. It helps that people understand.

Hi Freddie you are very close to me- we r in Luppit. I think i met you last year at a UKA show in Honiton.

How old are the lambs? How many feeds are they on. Have a lot on at work at the mo so would have to think carefully before taking more lambs on now.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 03:03:15 pm »
Just checked the diary and lambs are 4 weeks and 7 weeks.  I am soooo mean and they are only on two feeds a day. 

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 04:26:40 pm »
That actually sounds perfect. Boys or girls? Breed?
How much do you want for them?
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

dontworkclimb

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 09:35:14 pm »
hope you're feeling better after rough day last week. Our local farmer always says-don't blame yourself, sheep will always find a way to die! Doesn't make it any less upsetting though

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 12:33:56 pm »
Thanks everyone for your kind words and offers of lambs! Am better this week but have had major Rita change for next couple of weeks with a ton more oncall so feeding babies would be difficult. Will re think in the autumn re stock.

Thanks again!

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 08:28:19 am »
Were the lambs you lost from the farm I got you the details for?  We have 12 lambs from them and they are all big bouncing brutes!  Mine are now over 4 weeks old and just about to go onto 2 feeds a day they weigh over 25 kgs!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 10:27:00 pm »
Hi, yes they were. So sad. they were fab lambs, really healthy and lively! One looked mostly Charolais and was a real sweet heart. Have been blaming my self for doing something wrong, but had just weaned two ram lambs in same pen and on same bottle feeding regime. Any are big strapping lads now doing well.

Not sure if they picked up an infection or something, did put them all on a course of antibiotics after loosing the first one (alongside giving them a lamb supplement with good bacteria in it).

they were growing well but just keeled over.

Glad your lot doing well!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 12:14:09 pm »
Were the lambs you lost from the farm I got you the details for?  We have 12 lambs from them and they are all big bouncing brutes!  Mine are now over 4 weeks old and just about to go onto 2 feeds a day they weigh over 25 kgs!

What are you feeding your lambs on? If they were born at 5kgs, then to put on 20 kgs in 28 days it's nearly a kg per day? I must be doing something wrong here.... my spare triplets (2kgs each at birth) are now about 12 and 14 kgs at 7 and 8 weeks... and still get a  litre of (free) goatsmilk per day, plus creep and grass/hay.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS