Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sad day :0(  (Read 6110 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Sad day :0(
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:27:46 pm »
Had a rough day, lost our last orphan lamb again for no apparent reason, no signs of illness, gaining weight, feeding well, no scour. Suddenly keel over- fit and die. In less than half an hour. All between 2-3 weeks old.

Little ears was the biggest and strongest lamb, just started to be interested in grass and creep feed, but not properly eating it. And was dead this am. Put a lot of work into these guys and nothing.

Also helped put to sleep a faverite patient at work today ( long standing old age problems). Not a good day.

Wi have to save up for a couple of weaned ewe lambs instead.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Sad day :0(
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:36:14 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that.  Unexplainable death seems to go with sheep, but it isn't nice.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 10:46:51 pm »
Damn prey species, as bad as guinea pigs, fine one minuet , dead the next!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:33:25 am »
Oh bad luck FF.  :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 05:22:41 am »
I'm sorry  :-*
You did the nicest thing, taking care of them, but they have such a bad start in life  :-\ I hope you can find a couple of happy, healthy lambs  :)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 06:12:43 am »
So sorry funky fish,after all your efforts, a very upsetting result.
I can sympathise deeply with a special patient too, we can only do our best and help an owner let them go with dignity  when the time comes.    :bouquet:  (( hugs))

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 07:26:05 am »
Oh dear.  It's always sad to lose them but when you've put in such an effort and formed a bond with them it breaks your heart.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:32:43 am »
 :bouquet:

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 09:44:54 am »
So sorry  :(
We lost a wee lamb overnight, think it must have been all the heavy rain with cold wind  :(
He was our last born lamb, shetland, checked last night and they were all sheltering but this morning he was gone , they do try us  :'(

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:43:11 am »
Oh no  :-* Wasn't able to check mine this morning before I had to set off extra-early for work, so hope mine are all with me still  :-\

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 11:12:32 am »
Sorry to hear that.  :bouquet: :love:

Dan - we need a <<hugs>> icon
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 03:00:49 pm »
Sorry to hear about your lamb, it sucks.

Thanks everyone!

summermeadows

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 04:29:33 pm »
Sorry to hear that. We seem to have lost more than usual this year (weather hasn't helped). If it wasn't for the fact that you say they were only just starting to get interested in grass, I'd say these sudden deaths sound like some kind of acute poisoning. Is there anything in their immediately environment that they could've eaten? Just thinking about future lambs. All the best.  :'(

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 10:53:39 pm »
I don't think it was poisoning. They were penned in a corner of a stable. Let out on sunny days under direct supervision - as in the stuck to us like glue never wondered off. Lots of over sheep and goats in the same paddock and sharing the stable they are all fine. Also raised 4 ram lambs in same pen a couple weeks before. They are fine. I don't think these guys got any colostum which doesn't help. They were just eating occasional creep feed and odd bite of grass. Poss some infection they just couldn't cope with.

Going to save up and buy a couple of weaned ewe lambs of some bill breed instead. So if anyone has any for sale later on I'd be interested!!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 11:26:09 pm »
FF where are you based I know if tame lambs that will need bottling but also I will have some Shetland cross ewe lambs possibly later in year plus I have some commercial ewe lambs I have bottle fed who are 3 weeks old now and growing like tanks!  Message me if you are interested

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS