Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home needed for deaf sheepdog  (Read 7551 times)

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
Home needed for deaf sheepdog
« on: May 09, 2012, 06:26:51 pm »
I am desperate to find a home for my beautiful little border collie Meg.  She is ISDS registered and fully trained to work sheep however she suffered an injury two years ago which has left her deaf.  She still works sheep and that in part is my problem.

She works using hand signals normally but in two of our fields when I am walking all the dogs (8 in total) she has decided recently that she knows where the sheep are goes off to get them for me (all 300 at a time!)  Because the terrain in those fields is such that she can't see me she just keeps on bringing them and I have got to my wits end.

I love this little dog dearly and she has worked with me on sheepdog displays and as a flock dog but I feel that I can no longer give her the attention she needs or the work.  She works well on smaller numbers of sheep, working with hand signals and could really suit a smallholder.  She is happy and healthy and very biddable and I always thought that I could keep her forever but.... it would break my heart to have to let her go.

If anyone can help please message me or look on the website for details of her www.freddiesfarm.co.uk

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Home needed for deaf sheepdog
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:29:17 pm »
If its any help,I have a deaf beardie/border collie cross,(he doesn't work sheep he's petrified of them :P) He was born deaf and is now 6yrs old, however when training him I used a remote control collar that vibrates,it was brilliant,and he would look at me when it vibrated so could get his attention,to "call" him to me or give him hand signal for whatever I wanted. Maybe that could be of help to you or anyone who might consider offering her a home. I dont think my dogs deafness is anything to do with not working sheep he's just a big "feardie" ; Sorry cant offer a home for her,as I have 5 already, Good luck she sounds lovely.(I bought my collar on ebay and it wasn't expensive)

Stewartshill

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:44:00 pm »
Where about are you?  we have a small flock of Herdwicks ( 30 ) and terrain where we would always see her. She would get plenty of love and affection here, we have 10 other dogs all rescues. I f interested perhaps we could phone, or you phone us. Hope this helps.

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:06:14 pm »
We are on the Devon/somerset border about 5 minutes off Junction26 of the M5.

I have tried her with the collars and it works to a degree but then she tries to run away from it!

It isn't like she does this every day just seems to be when you can't take the joke!

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:53:32 pm »
Try this on the dogs section of the forum, it's a great shame you can't find some way of 'working' the dog and keep it, that's to say let it think it's working but really you're just exercising it.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 07:25:38 am »
I don't need to be patronised but as a mere weak and feeble woman I am trying to manage a flock of 300 ewes plus 400 lambs not to mention 8 dogs, 3 horses and a couple of bullocks.  Posting the message above was the hardest thing I have ever done as I have spent the last two years trying to work out how to keep little Meggie happy but in my environment with mostly rented land and crap fencing I cannot afford for her occassional bouts of over enthusiasm.

so don't patronise or judge - it really doesn't help anyone! 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 08:53:58 am »
I hope you find a good home for Meg - would she be OK as a pet, do you think?

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:16:50 am »
Hopefully we are going to meet meg shortly and if she likes us as much as I think we will like her hopefully she will come and help me with my smallish flock here in Devon we have everything crossed it works out

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 10:05:23 am »
Welled up with tears when i read this post as i can feel the emotion in Freddie's post, hope it all goes well HMM and she finds a lovely home with you.
mandy  :pig:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 10:08:19 am »
Hopefully we are going to meet meg shortly and if she likes us as much as I think we will like her hopefully she will come and help me with my smallish flock here in Devon we have everything crossed it works out

Finger are crossed all goes well for you and the lovely Meg :-)))

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 10:19:59 am »

Hi Freddiesfarm  :wave:
  It sounds like the TAS network has come to the rescue :), hope your Meg finds a good home ,fingerscrossed and keep us posted .....
Tilly

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 10:25:03 am »
really hope all goes well and you do manage to re-home meg, but if for some reason you dont then pm me as we would be intrested with a little more info good luck :)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 06:18:34 pm »
I don't need to be patronised but as a mere weak and feeble woman I am trying to manage a flock of 300 ewes plus 400 lambs not to mention 8 dogs, 3 horses and a couple of bullocks.  Posting the message above was the hardest thing I have ever done as I have spent the last two years trying to work out how to keep little Meggie happy but in my environment with mostly rented land and crap fencing I cannot afford for her occassional bouts of over enthusiasm.

so don't patronise or judge - it really doesn't help anyone!

I hope this wasn't meant for me.
I suggested the dog part of the forum in case anyone on there would take your dog and they may not have
read the sheep forum.
I suggested trying to 'work' the dog in a smaller area as an option which you may not have considered, how's anyone to know that you've spent two years wrestling with a problem.
Mostly this forum is very friendly and helpful but now and again people can jump down someones throat.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 06:31:34 pm »
We have well fenced land and a small flock there are no roads at most our sheep gave be driven across our lane anyone who knows anything about collies knows they need to be stimulated and as meg has been good at working taking her out of that would be really bad for her.  My dearest friend raises collies for her sheep farm and huskys for her racing work even the collie she let he sister have 'works' whenever she sees a sheep!  I hope we are megs forever home will keep everyone updated.  I once had a deaf jack Russell its just a different way of communicating with your dog that's all

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 06:31:59 pm »

I really hope things work out with HMM & Meg. I would love to have had her having had experience with a blind collie but my Ryelands would probably stamp their feet at her and that would lead to further frustrations for her.
 I am keeping my fingers crossed for you Freddiesfarm and Meg. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 06:19:16 pm by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS