Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs nibbling my clothes  (Read 5056 times)

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
Pigs nibbling my clothes
« on: May 09, 2012, 04:26:07 pm »
My weaners (2 and a half months old ) have started nibbling my clothes when I go in to see them, especially at feed time. I have read that they can do this, but my worry is that they nip, especially when my 6 year old daughter is in with me.  Any ideas, please?

HappyHippy

Re: Pigs nibbling my clothes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 05:05:42 pm »
Tell them fiirmly "no" and push them back.
It's almost like training a dog, they respond to it quite well and quickly  ;)

Another thing to watch is if you're hand feeding any - always make them wait (my Kunekunes even sit  ;)) before you give them it. But start young and just keep going with it - like puppies and kids, it's easier to do it from the start than go back and try and fix bad habbits later  :thumbsup:
HTH
Karen  :wave:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 05:10:22 pm »
and dont have any loose items of clothing they can steal (gloves in pockets etc) you dont get much back when they have played with them...

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:34:24 pm »
I had real trouble with my kune kune pigs biting when they first arrived. Clothes, shoes, flesh. I got a nasty bruise on my leg from one of them. It turned out feeding them by hand was causing all the trouble. Now they only get fed on the floor so they never expect any food to be on us and have not nipped since.

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 05:45:18 pm »
i dont like being pushed by noses either as it ends up with a nip if ur not careful. if u tap their noses gently it will deter them as their noses are sensitive. or if u need to go in the pen, chuck some food down first and that will keep them occupied.
 ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 06:15:31 pm »
and dont have any loose items of clothing they can steal (gloves in pockets etc) you dont get much back when they have played with them...
Oh yeah  :-[ I forgot about that !  :D :D :D
To be fair though, it was several piglets and they didn't destroy it while he was wearing it  ;) ;D

I had real trouble with my kune kune pigs biting when they first arrived. Clothes, shoes, flesh. I got a nasty bruise on my leg from one of them. It turned out feeding them by hand was causing all the trouble. Now they only get fed on the floor so they never expect any food to be on us and have not nipped since.
Oh, I hope it wasn't Penelope ?
It's something I try to be especially careful about with young pigs because we had the same problem with some adolescent Kunekunes we re-homed last year, they were terrible for it  ::) But soon got them out of that habbit  :thumbsup:

Ppd - make sure that you don't smell of anything particularly 'foody' too - it's a bit like dogs sniffing at your pocket because they think there might be a biscuit in it for them  ::) ;) :thumbsup:

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 06:54:23 pm »
Nope, not Penelope. She wouldn't dream of doing such a thing, she is a real sweetheart  :love: We have noticed a huge difference in temperament between her and the boys. She is so much more gentle and really quite affectionate. Not sure if it's a sex difference or your magnificent breeding Karen.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 07:27:35 pm »
Nope, not Penelope. She wouldn't dream of doing such a thing, she is a real sweetheart  :love: We have noticed a huge difference in temperament between her and the boys. She is so much more gentle and really quite affectionate. Not sure if it's a sex difference or your magnificent breeding Karen.
I'd love to take the credit  ;D but suspect it's just boys being bolshy and trying to outdo each other (not like 'em eh ?  ;))
Glad she's behaving herself Nic  :thumbsup:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 09:42:14 pm »
Thanks everyone. I have been pushing their snouts and saying a sharp NO just like you would a puppy for mouthing, but just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being hard on them lol! I never hand feed them, it is always on the ground on in a bucket (I keep ponies and that is also a golden rule with them if you don't want to be nibbled!) But may need to rethink going out in my dressing gown and PJ's with my coffee first thing to feed them! I know they are not being nasty but just over excited about food and, Karen, I may try teaching them to sit.....now do I say paw please or trotter ;D

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 09:58:16 pm »
I taught my huge Gloucester old spot boar to wait by his pallet for food as he started barging me, it took 2 -3 days of giving him a firm tap on the nose with a stick saying no, then pointing at the pallet and saying wait, I'd then put a tiny bit of food on the pallet, when he ate I said good boy, he learnt so quickly and never nips or barges now.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 07:36:59 am »
My boar was a terror for jumping up at me when he first came( he'd been a house pig ::)) and my legs were covered in bruises. I taught him to sit and wait, it took no time at all. Now, dear of him, he sits and waits as soon as he hears the Landie coming down the lane. He'll give a trotter too and a kiss :)
By the way, I borrowed him last June for a month and his owners keep saying, Yes, they'll come and get him. He's still here ::)

princesspiggy

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 08:12:58 am »
I taught him to sit and wait, it took no time at all. Now, dear of him, he sits and waits as soon as he hears the Landie coming down the lane. He'll give a trotter too and a kiss :)

how did u do that? thats so smart! the same way ud train a dog?  :D :D :D :D

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 09:32:30 am »
Karen, I may try teaching them to sit.....now do I say paw please or trotter ;D
All it took for mine to give a trotter was an outheld hand once they were in the sitting position (but mum and dad came to me already doing that, so maybe the babies just followed suit ?) The boar used to get so excited he'd almost try to give you both  :o ;D
It really is so easy, just like a dog PP  ;) Time and consistancy and if you do 5 minutes a day, I'd think you'd see results within a fortnight  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS