Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Traditional hay meadow looking for new bee colony  (Read 4483 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Traditional hay meadow looking for new bee colony
« on: May 08, 2012, 11:13:15 am »
As the title suggests we have what I believe to be a good potential home for bees and I am hoping I might be able to take a tiny part in trying to help these special creatures.  Unfortunately OH won't let me start up my own hive (something to do with there not being 48 hours in the day - since when???), but he is happy for someone else to keep their own hive on our land.

From looking at other posts I guess the best thing to do is contact my local bee keeping association, but before I do that is there anything I should be asking them or any special arrangements I should set up before someone comes onto my land with a colony of bees?  What's normal in these circumstances?

Finally, when is the best time to move a colony - i.e. have I missed the boat this year?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Traditional hay meadow looking for new bee colony
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:32:51 pm »
As you say it would be a good idea to contact you local beekeeping association and I dare say you will have a good response of interested beekeepers.

It is not too late to move the bees, the only time you should not move them is in the Winter, as they are clustered to keep warm and need to stay over or very near to their stores (honey). So, at this time of the year, they can be moved, the question is how much forage their is for them in your area, they will need a good source of nectar and pollen, right now in the country side it is  often OSR, your meadow may have some flowers they can forage, for example white clover, but some flowers the nectaries are too deep for the honeybee.

Hope that helps.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 09:40:46 pm »
People move bees more than 3 miles usually so they don't return to where the hive was.  Or move a swarm to new premises. The beekeeper will usually sort out what he/she wants and is grateful!  i have hard standing for my bees, which makes it easier to work, but I've been to plenty of sites that have very little in the way of preparation!  the bees don't mind!  My sitaation is the reverse - I am planting a meadow ready for more bees!

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:59:43 am »
right now in the country side it is  often OSR, your meadow may have some flowers they can forage, for example white clover, but some flowers the nectaries are too deep for the honeybee.

Sorry to be a bit dense here but what is 'OSR'?
I'd never thought about the nectaries being too deep, I just assumed that a traditional hay meadow would offer them what they needed. Being so high up (1300ft), flowers may not be in plentiful supply until a bit later in the season but there are a few species that are just starting to flower now.

I haven't yet heard back from the Derbyshire BKA, I might try Cheshire and Staffordshire as we are right on the borders of all 3.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 10:33:42 am »
Sorry to be a bit dense here but what is 'OSR'?

Who's more stupid, person who ask's a 'silly question' or the person who doesn't  ;)

OSR = Oil Seed Rape, bright yellow flowered crop out about now & loved by bee's, when its not raining & they can get to it.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 02:12:49 pm »
Ah right, thanks for the clarification.
Not much of that up on the hills round here - although I was surprised to see some up on the hills just west of Sheffield the other day. The rape fields seem to be more stunning than ever this year - maybe all the rain we've been getting makes the colours more vibrant - the fields look like bowls of sunshine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS