Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to take my Fleece?  (Read 11344 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Where to take my Fleece?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 09:50:57 pm »
Ecellent news Wild about wool  :thumbsup:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 07:12:40 pm »
Hi,
     well Halifax mill informed me that they would charge me £22 per kilo = vat ( returned weight) for my fleeces and as they weigh about 3 kilos each that would be pretty expensive even if they came back at 70% lighter ( as estimated by Halifax)
        I am sure that they do a great job and the process is very time consuming for them but even at roughly  £50 + vat for each treated fleece, it would cost me a few hundred pounds to get them cleaned up. :(
 I dont want the fleece spun as will be using it for felting projects so perhaps its worth me having another go at cleaning it up myself.
WoolyVal I would love to take you up on your offer but living in East Yorkshire I'm not exactly round the corner.
So I will have to have a go myself, can you let me know what  I need to do, what equipment I need etc ???

wild about wool

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 08:43:39 pm »
Hi Buffy
Contact Halifax spinning on 07949648938 we are based in Selby and we have not closed down please contact us.
Hi,

I have some fleeces that I would like cleaning, carding and possibly dying. I have been trying to contact a place in Selby but I think they may have closed down. Can anyone recommend somewhere in the, York, Leeds, Hull, Selby area?

Buffy

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 02:55:08 pm »
Hi WAW,

thank you for the suggestion but the quote above is from your colleauge Paul at Halifax.
 Unfortunatly it appears to be a very expensive process to do proffessionally so my only option seems to be do it myself ???
Any advice is appreciated :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS