Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: injection technique  (Read 4535 times)

kate. x

• Joined May 2012
  • west yorkshire
injection technique
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:21:31 pm »
Hi> thought should start a new topic with this query rather than just tagging it on the end of my last post!

I am just about to start to give one of my lambs an antibiotic injection, I know it should go IM, inside hind leg but ........ any tips??

I am a nurse so have given many an injection but lambs are different!!

3 dogs,2 tortoises, 6 cats 4 hens 4 Belgians, 2 lambs,, 2 rabbits, fish, the list goes on!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: injection technique
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:04:29 pm »
I give IM injections in the outside of the back leg, taking the same precautions as with a person to avoid nerves and blood vessels.  You have to open up the wool to skin so it doesn't get caught in the point of the needle.   If injecting alone, I sit the sheep on its bottom, leaning against my legs, reach over and hold the back foot so leg is flexed and therefore relaxed, tap the skin a couple of times before injecting, then go ahead.  They usually try to kick just before you've finished  ::)   If the sheep is too large for that then I would crowd it into a corner, hold it with my body and inject as quickly as possible.   They are easier than people as they have no expectation of pain.  :sheep:
Oh and they appreciate a treat afterwards, although the 'I was brave' sticker is optional  ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:06:16 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 04:43:04 pm »
Exactly as Fleecewife describes  :thumbsup: (I answered the same to your other post)

That's it, I am going to have to get some 'I was brave' stickers for my goats  :D

kate. x

• Joined May 2012
  • west yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 04:49:03 pm »
As this is new to me, what on earth is a treat for a sheep???

3 dogs,2 tortoises, 6 cats 4 hens 4 Belgians, 2 lambs,, 2 rabbits, fish, the list goes on!!!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 04:55:17 pm »
As this is new to me, what on earth is a treat for a sheep???

Mine would tell you treats are gingernut biscuits or digestives ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

kate. x

• Joined May 2012
  • west yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 05:16:06 pm »
I put him over my knee! Injections in and he didnt even flinch!! he is such a brave little boy!!!  :thumbsup:

Thanks every one. :wave:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:17:06 pm »
Excellent - yes, that works well for a tiddler. I hope he got his ginger biscuit  ;)
Lambs are very brave - unlike goat kids  ::)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 05:23:54 pm »
Some Goats are very vocal aren't they LOL!! scared me first time.

I'm an ex-RGN too and I think the thing that surprised me most was that the skin felt thicker, threw me slightly but kind of used to it now. I think I still say "sharp scratch coming...." and the sheep and goats just look at me oddly...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 05:39:13 pm »
If your only concern is medication then I have nothing to add. 

If, however, this is a meat lamb and you are also concerned about meat quality, then anywhere on the back leg is a risk as an abcess can form at the injection site.  In that case, top of the rump is best, between the hip bones. 

With very young lambs you probably can't find enough muscle to do i/m anywhere but the gigot - but in a teeny one, sub-cutaneous comes to much the same, so in a wee meat lamb, do that.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 07:41:51 pm »
Good point Sally  :wave: .  We have so few destined for meat, and rarely inject them for anything, so I forgot.  I have never had a problem with an injection site though (smug  :eyelashes: ) so that's my excuse  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS