Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Melons anyone ?  (Read 4342 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Melons anyone ?
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:40:13 pm »
I have 5 plnts about 15 -20 cm heigh.

has anyone any tips about growing them outdoors and how to trin them up?
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Re: Melons anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:35:37 am »
I had a go at growing water melon last year. I had to grow it in the tunnel, you should be fine outside as your weather is probably a little milder than it is on the west coast of Scotland  ::) Good luck with training it, mine turned into a bit of a triffid. It got about 5 fruit on it the size of marbles, then proceeded to curl up it's toes and die. Sorry none of this is of any help to you at all is it? Any way I'm having another go this year. Good luck with yours  :thumbsup:

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:20:02 am »
Ive been told to plant them directly into an old muck heap....last two years my plants never really got big enough to plant out before dying so I WILL try again this year.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:26:24 pm »
I grew some delicious melons in my Poly up here. They did so well I was giving them away. I just grew them in well manured soil , but they were a type for colder climes. I got the seeds from Dobies of Devon cant remember the name. 

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 09:31:07 pm »
I will move one of my dungheaps to a spare bed of soil and plant the melons in that - a row with a timber A frame at either end and poles between them ( lengths at ground level and maybe 5 feet up. I can then wire this up with vertical wire for the melon plants to climb.
I think 5 feet will be high enough.
Oh - I have a dip in the veg plot that is fed, by an underground pipe, rain water from the barn roof and the water outlet from our septic tank. This is the damp part of the garden in high summer so will reduce the need for frequent watering.
I'll post the outcome.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 03:26:04 pm »
i have a packet of cold climes melon in the seed collection. i'll plant them out tomorrow and we will see how we go won't we!  :thumbsup:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 01:01:46 pm »
I nip my melon plants out at the top when they reach about 4 leaves and train the side shoots out sidewards, this has always been sucessful for me. This year I am growing watermelon and catalope so I will see how they go as we have had a funny old year weather wise this year so far.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 07:28:24 pm »
forgot to do this, is it too late to plant them now?
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 09:28:28 pm »
Nope I have just planted another batch.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 09:50:53 pm »
Nope I have just planted another batch.

i'll put some in tomorrow then!  :thumbsup: nice one.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS