Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: oh the joys of owing animals  (Read 2652 times)

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
oh the joys of owing animals
« on: May 06, 2012, 01:34:18 pm »
well its been a fun morning pigs down by the house wating for there breakfast which they got at lunch time lambs at the door for there bottles which they got late birds making a racket and goats not happy there breakfast was late as well all because i was stood holding a pony awaiting for the vet ,vet only took hour and half to arrive after call saying we caught him today due to sweeling on his face pain killers and meds for him and all other animals not happy having to wait for him to be seen , well lambs out and goats out now jumbing about and just having fun pigs suning them selfs looking at me as if its all my vault there been fed late , will hate to see this months vet bill vet seen a lamb a kid, plus the pony and a call out on sunday  :(

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: oh the joys of owing animals
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:49:12 pm »
Had to move a couple or rams and 4 wedders this morning, fed them into a pen all except one the old Shetland caught one ram and put him in the trailer let the 4 wedders out into the lane and tryed to get the old ram to follow up and down the field passed the gate a dozen times until finally he got the message. he has done this journey loads of times sheep can be thick. Anyway caught him easily and he was as calm as anything do you think the old bugger was having a laugh ? :sheep: ;D  O! and all this with a sprained ankle.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:05:43 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 03:29:51 pm »
My grouse is that, no matter what time of day I sweep the goat yard and no matter what they are doing when I go out there, they decided that it is the very time they want to have a play fight, always in the part of the yard I'm sweeping and usually involving charging through the pile of dirt.  All this while Cloud is jumping up at my back and she's getting too heavy for that lark.   ::)

(sigh)  time to go and sweep the goat yard.    :(

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 06:46:09 pm »
Looking after friends animals  this weekend. Her most annoying sheep ha lambed this am, all fine except mum does not want to know- spent 2 hrs trying to catch her to pen her with it so it can feed, just calmly walking her towards pen- she make a break for it, lamb runs in to fence and knocks it self out. So no sleep for me this weekend as will be up all night feeding it! At least it's a nice ewe lamb ( Shetland).
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 07:30:59 pm »
well all lambs fed and goats in, my pigs the big girls decided that they would lie in the hall way try telling them they dont belong indoors they are koon x with a black so she is a big pig hard work trying to get her back out then went to feed the other pigs ,poorly pig goes where he wants and follows me around grapping on to my boots then it was time to get medicatd food into the pony and im still wating on goat to kid but she can wait as ive got a london trip next weekend for my daughter openday at vet school no matter what they do i love my animals but there are days i would love there not to be a proplem just one day please spoke to vet had vet out more times this past month then i would like but they are so worth it especial when they make you smile at there antics despite what the days thrown at you  ::)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 07:37:41 pm »
Granddaughter and her friend were here for the weekend. Riding yesterday and today, teaching them how to tack up, pick out pony feet and how to muck out. Dogs were walked twice both days now sound asleep that kids have been taken home. Barnaby the cat pushed about in the wheel barrow. Lambs played with, eggs collected. this place is just a joy to the children  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS