Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: THAINSTONE UP DATE  (Read 7284 times)

Victorian Farmer

THAINSTONE UP DATE
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:12:07 am »
A VERY GOOD TURN OUT PRICES £100 FOR 3 CREAM LEG BARS G BAMFORD 12 DOZ BLACK ROCK £22 RONALD GREENLAW £80 HERITAGE HIGH BREDS   SILVERLACE WYNDOTS 36 SINGLE HEN 12 EGGS 24 POUND.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: THAINSTONE UP DATE
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:26:57 am »
Glad to hear Ronnie had a good price. He's a lovely gentleman and a pretty near neighbour, and his chooks are well cared for and happy :-)))

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:32:33 am »
tell us if the pigs made the same money or less :farmer:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 12:18:19 pm »
The small pigs were 10 to 15 pound each i dont no about the bigger 1 s

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:22:49 pm »
Hi Robert
             The pigs made less money than the poultry from what i seen.The sheep prices were ok although you could  have bought Soays for £10.50 a life quite cheap in my eyes . :) if you need some prices let me know a marked them on the catalogue.Ally  :)

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 12:24:21 pm »
now is it not just a funny old world  10 pigs are worth one hen
it is a good job that the Masai tribes don't work with pigs  they would need millions of them :D :farmer:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 12:26:19 pm »
hi ally if you could post what the pigs made i am sure there are lots more wanting to know but just wont ask :farmer:

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 12:41:07 pm »
Hi Robert will do i never seen all pigs going through but there wasnt one over £100 that a seen.Its mad that you can buy a pig cheaper than a hen and to be honest they go on about rare breeds sales there wasnt an awful lot of rare breed hens there. Also what would anyone on here pay for a Wensleydale gimmer?. A know what i think there worth and a think a seller yesterday made a big mistake and didnt realise how the market/Auctioneer works selling per life but please tell me your thoughts

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 01:23:33 pm »
Do you know what the shetland sheep went for and the Kerry Hills cheers
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 01:57:32 pm »
with the price of pig feed it doesnt surprise me at all, and since theres no option of feeding scraps unless you have some orchard or other source of by products which are permitted it makes for an expensive animal to keep relatively these days in comparison with hardy sheep breeds living on grass and hay or chooks which are low maintenance and can be used for eggs or meat.

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 04:14:58 pm »
the same argument could be used for texels and all other fast maturing and heavy weight carcases sheep
kitchen scraps are not allowed for poultry  so that is the poultry out the equation
expensive if you are breeding them not if you just buy weaners  but then there is good and bad even with weaners   now you look at the price of pork in your local butcher or supermarket  then buy a good weaner that is going to grow and kill out with a decent amount of meat     that can convert proper pig food for about 60p a kilo not expensive in the long run :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 04:38:47 pm »
Yeeessss  but the prices people are getting for the commercial sheep from the buyers eg abbatoirs/processors make up for the increased costs of rearing them, unlike with pigs! And altho you cant feed chickens scraps, they do eat the grass/plants/insects in their surroundings and dont take much feeding.

I do agree that a weaner is still a very very good proposition in terms of a comparison with butchers pork, its just that most people dont look at what they would pay for that much meat as they buy it bit by bit if they buy it from shops. Plus unless you have the fencing/arc  etc to keep pigs there is a big one off expense.

Dont get me wrong, at the moment the buyers of weaners are getting a VERY good deal; its the breeders who are hurting like mad. But if you have the land to make your own hay, and choose low input sheep breeds, who basically only get grass and hay, then that is what many people will do esp when they look at the sky high price of lamb in the shops.

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 06:30:07 pm »
a small number of chooks wont take much to feed but a large number will
as a price comparison chicken breast   skin on  £18.95 a kilo
fillet steak    £32.50 a kilo
lamb loin roast £15.50 a kilo
pork a leg roast £10.00  a kilo with bone in
these prices are taken from a link on this site :farmer:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:45:48 pm by robert waddell »

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 06:33:47 pm »
i WAS VERY PLEASED, I sold a single cockerel for £25  :) his father sold in the last sale for £50, so I very pleased to have £75 for two cockerels!

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 06:41:01 pm »
my first rare breed sale....... hooked! only went for a couple of hens and came back with 10 and a cockeral!!!! how did that happen!!
i too was surprised that hens were more expensive than pigs. in my book i have the 2 "micro" pigs at £15
berkshire cross at £25
saddleback at £40 lunch then brought my notes to an end
husband bought the oxford downs.
think it was a good job we had to leave to take the kids to a party!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS