Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep death - can you identify  (Read 9167 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Sheep death - can you identify
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 07:18:35 am »
Me too  :thumbsup:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 02:45:16 pm »
me too  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

FaeFife

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 08:46:34 pm »
Bad news about your sheep. I've just had a look at your pics and judging by the types of plants, it looks like this area has been part of an ornamental garden or perhaps an area where garden debris has been dumped.
The first two pics look like Polygonum (Bistort) and if left to grow would produce spikes of pale pink flowers.
The third pic looks like a type of Astrantia, which has a loose head of pink to white flowers.
 The last I would say is Kniphofia (Red Hot Poker) you can seen the old flower stem still attached.
They are all garden plants that were once very common.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 07:49:35 pm »
Hi thanks, it is a garden-ish area and we have decided to readjust our fencing to allow that to still exist and so that sheep and goats just can't get in there - we let the garden grow wild all summer there and its been interesting what has come up.  I bought 2 books on british garden flowers and poisonous plants so I've been on a learning curve this summer.  More paranoid than ever now!!! Many thanks.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS