Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep death - can you identify  (Read 9166 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Sheep death - can you identify
« on: May 05, 2012, 09:07:37 pm »
Hi, we had a north ronaldsay sheep die today - perfect health yesterday, frothing this morning at 7am then dead by 2.30pm today.  NRs are copper sensitive and I'm not sure if any of the attached photos contain higher than average amounts of this.  We recently took out a small rhodedendron plant and we know the obvious yew, laurel etc.  Our other sheep have always grazed in this area and we have had no problems.  We have only had the NRs for 2 weeks.  They are a bit more goat like than the other sheep (soay and castlemilk moorits) and are perhaps attracted to different vegetation than them.  We can't rest until we find out the problem.  Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.  I should say the most munched area was the first 2 photos (small stalky plant and am showing close up of its leaves in my hand). Am going to bed now, its been a long day I wish would end.  Many thanks.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Sheep death - can you identify
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:35:13 pm »
cant comment on the other pics but the first pic just looks like docks and clover, no prob with those. Im really sorry you have lost her :-(((

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:35:59 pm »
The right hand side of the third picture seems to have a Euphorbia growing - those orange shoots. I'm no botanist, so could easily be wrong, but I have a Euphorbia griffithi in my garden that comes up looking a bit like this.

If so, they're poisonous, the common name for euphorbias is 'spurge' coming from the French 'espurge', to purge.
There are many species and they vary how poisonous they are but some can kill humans.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:38:10 pm by jaykay »

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 09:37:40 pm »
Info on copper poisoning - http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/210700.htm

Where were the sheep from originally? Just noting the paragraph saying stress such as transport can "release" copper stored in the liver in one massive overdose.

Sorry for your loss  :bouquet:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 09:26:38 am »
Thanks Yorkshire, I'd already seen that and of course it is a possibility, although I must say they are very friendly and seemed to settle in immediately, they are quite confident. The remaining girl seems very healthy.

Thanks Jaykay, I know euphorbia as a plant and think I would recall that being there.  The most munched top photos are almost watercress looking but oval leaves but then it could have been the geese who ate those.  There are other grassy type things that get munched by our other sheep and its never been a problem. 
Someone on the TAS website mentioned recently that Bagot goats eat everything and you have to be careful - I think the NRs are very similar to the Bagots actually, it really struck us very quickly how goat like they are. We've re-fenced their access points to this area and none of our livestock can get in (apart from the geese who are sitting on their eggs there).  Best to keep livestock in a plantless field I think.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 12:26:28 pm »
Hi

Well.....

I am going to stick my neck on the block and say its not dock and there is no clover there that I can see.

The bottom one could be a sedge but could also be a lot of other 'garden plants' such as monbretia or lilies.... I am going to get my other half to have a good look on his return this evening.

The other thing that crossed my mind was water hemlock.....not one of the pics but you may easilyconfuse it with lots of other things, especially if you have wet ditches.... Also re the rhododendron possibility.....have you any wild rhodys lurking anywhere?

If you can post really detailed pics of plants, their setting etc it helps...will do anything I can to help. 
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 12:39:52 pm »
Thanks Woolyval, will do that today - we are beside a river and we've hunted high and low for rhode - we did have one quite small and of course we dug it out roots and all and put it on the bonfire.  Will post what I can, thanks so much for your help.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 12:54:16 pm »
Ok....oracle says it IS dock...round leaved dock! The plant next to it is mint we think. Thew others are of common buttercup and a willowherb of some sort, not sure which one. The other pic could be as I said a sedge...not poisonous or a lily, perhaps day lily.

Ohhhhh and says that due to lots of rain docks are sweeter this year and higher in oxalic acid content making them more likely to be gobbled up but more toxic....!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:58:05 pm by woollyval »
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 04:30:22 pm »
Might have been - gosh that could be missed by anyone.  However, we think we found another culprit.  On an extensive search, determined to get whatever it was we found, yes, another rhodedendron - it was in amongst some rocks and dead grass and a large dead branch of broom.  It had about 6 spindly stems, was completely pathetic looking and struggling to grow about 6 inches tall, but had some fresh munch marks on the top leaves.  Gutted we didn't find it before, thought we had looked everywhere.  Its practically nothing to look at as a plant but was probably enough to do the job.  My poor healthy beautiful girl.  It's taught us a very hard lesson.
Thank you woolyval, I do suspect that the possible docks were eaten by our geese who are always in that area. 

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 07:18:58 pm »
Oh noooo.

But at least you've found the problem now I guess. Small consolation.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 12:40:33 am »
I'm so sorry you lost your little ewe goosepimple.  We lost 2 ancient Hebs who should have known better to laurel many years ago - evil stuff, now hacked to bits and burnt to the ground.

Do you really need to get rid of the survivor?  Now you know where the problem plants lurk, can you not keep all the sheep well away?  It would be such a shame to no longer keep Ronnies because of this.  Someone mentioned that they thought sheep knew to avoid poisonous plants - I think the explanation of that in this case may be that because lambs learn from their mothers, and at Darrens there were no rhododendrons, your new ewes didn't know to avoid them, and didn't have time for trial and error to work - just error.  Very sad.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 02:16:59 pm »
Thanks fleecewife, the RBST officer is coming for a visit tomorrow (Wed) anyway so I'll chat about that with her.  We would love to keep her and in fact would love a small flock of these sheep, they're very interactive.  We may get her a nice wee whether to chum around with until we send her off to chum around with an intact boyfriend  ;) which will of course result in twin ewe lambs ;) ;) next spring.
The offending area is now unaccessable and all remotely offensive looking plants burnt at the stake.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 03:06:46 pm »
Sounds good  :thumbsup:

Say hello to Ruth from me tomorrow  :wave:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 09:32:29 pm »
Ruth says  :wave: back and hopes you are keeping well.  She's convinced me to keep Miss Ronaldsay, particularly as she would like to use her at next years wool festival at the Border Union Show  ::)  ;D ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 11:20:22 pm »
Oh good - I'm glad you're keeping her  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS