Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chainsaw clothing  (Read 10350 times)

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Chainsaw clothing
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 12:06:33 pm »
No, it didn't hurt.  Lot of blood but no pain. 

It didn't heal well though cos A&E cocked up and sent me home with instructions to check the wound after a week.  When I did the wound reopened and the amount of blood was vastly more than previously.  Being young and stupid I wrapped it up in and drove to A&E rather than make a fuss with an ambulance.  The trouble is that a chain cuts a messy groove.

I personally wear a combined hard hat and ear defenders.  The hat has a mesh visor which catches any crap heading towards my face.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 02:44:49 pm »
Yes - everybody has their own ways of doing things.

Personally I would never forgive myself if I sustained an injury that could have been prevented by wearing protective clothing and I wasn't wearing any. But that's just me....... :D :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 04:17:46 pm »
Whilst common sense and a clear head may protect you from stupid mistakes, what you can't protect yourself from is hidden nails in a tree or mechanical failure of the saw and a blade wrapping itself around your arm. I think Bert's Grandparents have the right idea and I have trusted to luck far too long. I will be getting some protective equipment as well. Hopefully it will never be needed, but living in France with a way of life relying so heavily on good health we can't afford any injuries -even minor ones. The very next job I get will see the income spent on protective clothing.

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 04:28:58 pm »
the chainsaw experts or ones that do it for a living  will not put there chainsaw near a tree that has the possibility of wire or nails in it     the risk is far to great
i have had a chain break twice  and had it been cutting on the top of the bar it would have had more of a consequence than breaking on the bottom of the bar just at the logging dog
the chain break on modern saws is actuated by the saw kicking back and engaging the brake modern chains prevent this even further :farmer:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 06:11:08 pm »
Suzie - I think we were on the same course!!!!!!!!  Bert  here is Phil's site.  •
http://www.chainsawtraining.com/

He is ace.  Really great man with lovely manner. On my course there was me who had never picked one up and 2 expereinced guys  (one of who was pretty lethal  :o ) and SuzieQue (I think) - he managed to somehow coach all of us (at these different stages) perfectly.  The best and possibly most important bit was chain sharpening, tensioning and general maintainance, plus getting into good safe routines. (oh and a bit of chainsaw carving at the end)  I love my chainsaw!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:29:53 pm by FiB »

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 08:39:54 pm »
When I'm chopping up for the wood store I generally wear my steel capped trucker boots, light gloves, ear defs and a pair of frag-proof goggles or specs. when I'm out and about cutting down trees I stick my lid on that has the visor, face mask and incorporated ear defs. Very good piece of kit which I wouldn't be without.

Other top piece of kit - Dremel 3000 with the chainsaw sharpening attachment. Dull saw to sharp saw in about 3 minutes, has more than payed for itself in the time that I've had it and does a better job than taking it to the shop to get it ground down or using fiddley files to sharpen a chain. If you're going to spend any money on anything, spend it on one of those.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS