Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A question for Rustyme  (Read 3490 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
A question for Rustyme
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:54:53 pm »
As you know OH suffered quite a bad head injury beginning of last month. Still in BGH awaiting rehab. His attention span is not very long at the moment and he gets jumbled up with things and his eyesight seems to be affected to some degree.

As to the question does this seem anywhere in line to what you experienced?
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

rustyme

Re: A question for Rustyme
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:43:21 pm »
hello Kaz,
           when I had my smash, it left me with all sorts of problems . I had real problems with conversation, I could basically understand what was said to me , but answered with simple yes and no's for ages. I knew I had problems but could do nothing about it . As time went on , my speach got better, over six months I could put sentances together again . How I learnt to do that was by picking the words I wanted off of a merry go round I pictured in my head. I had also more or less garroted myself on the steering wheel so I sounded like Phil Mitchell off of East Enders !!! My memory was hit badly . I couldn't remember anything from the last ten years or so . This got better as time went by , but I still have big areas that I have no memory of at all. Other bits I think are what people have told me since the smash , and I now think of them as memories....it is almost impossible to tell the difference. I was very jumbled for a year or so , and I am still not as I was before the smash now, but it did get better over time. My eyesight was also hit hard . I had smashed both cheek bones and they had cracked and opened under each eye . When this happens muscle and fatty tissue drops down the gap and as the bone heals it cuts off this tissue. The eye then sits at a different angle to before . I had terrible double vision for about 18 months or so . This did get better and now I only get double vision if I am really tired. I can't say if my actual site was affected much as I had poor sight before the smash and it has only got slowly worse over the years . My attention span was cut to nothing .... and isn't that much better now really . I really can only cope with one thought or action at a time , ask me two questions , one after the other , and I just hang ...befuddled...I had terrible temper problems afte also . These took 10 years or more to bring under more normal control . They were very hard to cope with as I knew I was throwing a wobbly ...but could do nothing to stop it or know why I was throwing it anyway. Still , I mostly keep a lid on things now ::). I was only in hospital for 11 days and then I walked out , I was still very heavily concussed and knew nothing of what I was doing at the time . However there was no mention of rehab apart from I should have been in a cast and then traction for about 3 months !!! I have forgotten lots of what I did and didn't do , and most of what I now remember , is really what people have told me I did . I am more or less normal these days  ::) ::) (more less than more!!!) and I think your OH should get back to normal in time . Don't expect miracles though , it just takes time , but it does come together in the end . Hope that helps a bit , I have told it as it was for me , and haven't hidden anything , so you know what things were like and can see if they relate to OH . I hope he keeps improving with time , and I am always here if you need to ask anything at all ....

cheers

Russ

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:43:21 am »
Sorry jumping on to this topic, just wanted to say so glad your OH is on the mend, please keep us up to date when you can  - keeping in our thoughts.  HM

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:47:21 am »
I think he is mending himself. Our local hospital think it's great that he is getting physio for his chest after having the mini traccy, but not having any on his legs. He has now fallen 4 times in hospital twice banging his head as he is just not able to walk by himself.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 03:42:20 pm »
As before there arent the words to express how hard it must be for all of you, but please keep in touch, it will be a long road, hopefully at the end of this he will be as he was before.  (Sorry this is clumsily put )

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 04:31:09 pm »
Each step at it comes,
don't expect things to happen over night but encurage things when they do. (put more effect on the positive then finding the negative bits)

Linz

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 07:02:48 pm »
Thanks Russ, and of course all of you out there for your support at this time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS