Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boys and girls  (Read 8033 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Boys and girls
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 08:55:08 am »
I agree with BB on the subject of age/virility.
Maybe it comes from the fact that Kunekunes develop quicker and can be at it from as young as 3 months  ??? But I know of a Saddleback that produced a litter aged just 25 weeks  :o (pregnant for 16 weeks, you do the sums  ;)) There's always exceptions to the rules  ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:35:17 pm by HappyHippy »

raindogs

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 11:04:49 pm »
Great advice, everyone, thanks.

Seems I'm safe from boar taint and unwanted pregnancy till around 7 months, so I'll take them off then. As a friend texted today, Bertie (formerly Gertie) is a very lucky boy ...

redborneschoolfarm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 07:13:34 pm »
redborneschool,
Your statement about boars not being sexually active until 9 months is absolute rubbish. >:( one of my boars who is now 7 fathered his first litter at just under 6 months. Recently I put a new gilt I had bought in with a couple of meat pigs a few weeks before they went to slaughter and 3 months 3 weeks 3 days later I had a suprise litter.

How old were the gilts?

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 10:25:33 am »
" How old are the gilts"  Whats that got to do with anything, if you read Sally's post she knows of a saddleback had a litter at 25 weeks, also there is one on another forum had her first litter at 30 weeks.
Don't make stupid statements that inexperienced keepers will take as gospel.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

redborneschoolfarm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 12:47:47 am »
" How old are the gilts"  Whats that got to do with anything, if you read Sally's post she knows of a saddleback had a litter at 25 weeks, also there is one on another forum had her first litter at 30 weeks.
Don't make stupid statements that inexperienced keepers will take as gospel.

It's not a stupid statement but one from experience. We produce hundreds of pigs every year have done for decades and have never had an issue with mixing sexes all the way to slaughter, saddleback or large black. Knowing of 1 Saddleback that started early does not mean that they all will.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 11:03:04 am »
It is a stupid statement as is your last one. If you are sending pigs to slaughter at 6 months or so who is to say that every gilt sent is not a month pregnant you wouldn't be able to tell. I think if you asked at any abattoir they will tell you they have quite a few pregnant gilts pass through.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS