Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boys and girls  (Read 8031 times)

raindogs

• Joined May 2012
Boys and girls
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:53:08 am »
Hello, I'm new, but really enjoyed what I've read so far.

I fatten a couple of pigs for meat each year. I've always had girls and, as I got my two saddlebacks home from a very muddy field yesterday, I thought I would have this year, too. However, one is a boy. Is this going to be a problem? I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Boys and girls
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 12:36:26 pm »
No this won't be a problem.

Research into boars has concluded that "Sperm can be produced from boars of most 5 months old or younger but it is unlikely in most cases that a reliable ejaculate would be produced before 7 months old."

Therefore if you take them off at 6-7 months or so you should be fine.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 01:37:23 pm »
not as simple as oaklands portrays
when the gilt comes in season he will ride it and both lose weight temporally  and this every 3 weeks
you could be the unfortunate one that disproves all the research      very very risky if you want to take to big weights to maximise your volume of meat :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:05:14 pm »
Robert - how much weight do you reckon they lose each 3 weeks? and for how long?

Not sure raindog was planning to take to big weights, and given that he already has these pigs, what are you suggesting he does?

Taking the pair to 6-7 months should prove no problem in my view.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:28:26 pm »
to late to do anything now
if they are putting on over a kilo a day they could lose that 3 kilo weight gain plus a bit more on both of them  i don't think anybody has done a research into this   there would be more loss in weight if it were a bigger group as they will all be wanting a shot
it also increases the probability of boar taint  if it is intact    just my view :farmer:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 04:28:56 pm »
I breed Gloucester old spots, I keep boar and gilt weaners together, have done for years and have never had any problems, I find boys ride boys or girls and vice versa! They all go for slaughter 5-7 months depending on time of year, size etc. I also have 2 saddlebacks this year (long story) a boar and a gilt, they are about 4 months old and behaving no differently to my gos.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 04:30:02 pm »
Robert Waddell, are you talking traditional breeds or commercial?

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 04:40:25 pm »
Hello, I'm new, but really enjoyed what I've read so far.

I fatten a couple of pigs for meat each year. I've always had girls and, as I got my two saddlebacks home from a very muddy field yesterday, I thought I would have this year, too. However, one is a boy. Is this going to be a problem? I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks.
The way I'd do it (for what it's worth  ;)) would be to keep them both together and once you see him starting to get interested in her get them booked in for slaughter asap. The last thing you want is any wee 'accidents'  :o :D
I'm one of the fussy folk who can detect boar taint (though I have to say I've never smelt it in anything except supermarket stuff  :-\) but the top tips I have for dealing with it are don't cure any of the boar meat (increases the smell apparently) and freeze the meat and defrost before eating it. I haven't tried either so don't know for certain if it works as we only eat gilts or castrates, sorry.

Robert Waddell, are you talking traditional breeds or commercial?
To gain a kilo a day, it's not going to be Kunekunes for sure  :D :D :D
I suspect it's the Hampshires Robert's speaking about Dixie  ;)

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 06:03:35 pm »
yep karen your right  and got the weight chart to prove it       these two are growing faster than there btother and sister did last year    20 kilos heavier than the same age last year :farmer:and the crosses are shifting as well
just form an orderly que if your no first yer last :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 06:13:25 pm »
Robert,

I presume we are talking sex here as the reason for the loss - rather than a gilt losing it through her cycle (which she would do in any case) or a boar losing it because he is becoming mature - as boys ride boys, so you would not get any larger weight loss in a mixed group than a single sex.

If it is through sex, then any weight loss would surely be fat loss, as the "exercise" of sex uses muscles and the energy source for muscles is fat and would create gain in muscle (and hence meat) through it being worked, - so you could argue that any weight loss that did occur would be loss of fat, and would be offset by gain in muscles. 

However as you say no research has been done to my knowledge on this area, and is unlikely to, so we are probably both wrong!  :)
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 07:18:33 pm »
we always noticed a difference at the cycle   but would need to weigh them on daily basis to see to what extent they lose weight just going by eye you can not add credence to it   heifers on the other hand show a noticeable weight loss
Hampshire's don't carry that much fat  but it would be interesting to find out   maybe an EU funded experiment ;) :farmer:

redborneschoolfarm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 06:50:47 pm »
We keep males and females together (Large blacks and Saddlebacks) To slaughter weight of 60 - 70kg or 6 - 7 months old. They are not sexually mature to the point of viably mating until 9 months old and boar taint in these breeds is undetectable until at least the 9 month mark and often not until after 12 months if at all as the 'traditional' breeds tend not to suffer from this nearly as much. You won't have any problem, they won't 'ride' each other any more than same sex groups until after 6-7 months and these weightloss statements are bizarre to say the least a little tom foolery amongst pigs has never in my experience had a significant impact on the efficiency of getting them to finishing weights.

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 07:00:31 pm »
the Hampshire's are 17 weeks old and 62 kilos  do you weigh your pigs weekly or daily to see the change :farmer:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05:19 pm »
Our first pair were boys.  Our second 4 pigs were supposed to be all boys but one was a girl!  They went at 6 months without any problems whatsoever.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 10:52:11 pm »
redborneschool,
Your statement about boars not being sexually active until 9 months is absolute rubbish. >:( one of my boars who is now 7 fathered his first litter at just under 6 months. Recently I put a new gilt I had bought in with a couple of meat pigs a few weeks before they went to slaughter and 3 months 3 weeks 3 days later I had a suprise litter.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS