Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: welsh black mountain sheep  (Read 3859 times)

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
welsh black mountain sheep
« on: May 01, 2012, 12:57:10 pm »
anyone here keep welsh black mountain sheep?
we have just got (about a month ago) our first starter flock of 4 ewes (one with a ram lamb at foot and 1in lamb and two yearlings)
just wondered if anyone on here living in south wales area has experience in keeping this breed and what do you do with them meat or breeding or both.
i am wondrering wether to go through the expense of registering the ram lamb with the wbms society or to just leave as he is entire my thoughts originally were to either sell for breeding or meat he seems like a good lamb but as i am not experienced i wondered if there was anyone nearby who knew there stuff and could advise the best course of action for him. obviously im happy either way.
this morning the sheep that was in lamb, lambed ..... a ram lamb now i have the dilemma of do i castrate or not again he looks like a good lamb but thats possibly cos he's my first born on the farm and not for the right reasons. i dont want to leave it too late to castrate if he is not a shining example of the breed but at the same time dont want to be hasty.. what should i be looking for in terms of quality for breeding?
sorry if this is all rambling and hope it makes sense from a newbie sheep keeper.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: welsh black mountain sheep
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:55:42 pm »
I kept them for years, and never castrated any of the ram lambs.  It all seemed fine.  I didn't slaughter during the mating season, and to my taste the meat was never tainted.  The senior ram kept the others in order and away from the ewes.  The entire flock lived together year round without problems.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:23:47 pm »
I have a small flock of BWM (and am in South Wales).  First year I had two ram lambs left entire, and they went for meat just before tupping time.  Next year I castrated, they took longer and didn't finish until Oct-Dec time.  This year I've left the early ones entire, and castrated the last couple.  Next year I don't think I'll castrate at all.  They taste excellent either way.

I've borrowed rams until now, but this year I'm going to buy one in.  So it would be nice to think that they can all live happily all year round without any 'incidents', just as darkbrowneggs said.  But I also have space to keep the rams separate if need be.

If you are worried about it, maybe castrate just for this first year?

I don't think you can tell a good ram at that early age, so don't register until you are sure he's good (no point wasting money).  Look at the BWM society spec list for what you should be looking for, and go to the shows and see what the top stock look like and get chatting to the members.

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:57:31 pm »
thanks for the advice i do have the space to seperate the rams and i am inclined not to castrate at this point im hoping to get time off to go to the smallholders show in may so should be able to get a good look at the sheep there. like stated im happy to eat or sell when the time is right so shouldnt be an issue either way. i am hoping to be able to loan a ram later in the year or if mine turn out any good to do a ram swap to keep the lines clean failing that i will buy one in for the job.
i must say as a breed i am falling in love with them more each day  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS