Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Renting grazing land  (Read 30383 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Renting grazing land
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:30:39 pm »
There is a field next to us that we'd like to rent, it's approx 4 acres and has water and a road access, that's all.  Does anyone know what the going rate is per acre? 
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

robert waddell

Re: Renting grazing land
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:34:39 pm »
where :farmer:

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:47:01 pm »
North Shropshire

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:55:13 pm »
from your other post  on the price of land you could pay  from £100 -£150 starting price :farmer:

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 10:05:29 pm »
what, per week, month or year??  ::)

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 10:13:20 pm »
per acre per year that is just a starting price  depends on the demand  :farmer:

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 11:01:16 pm »
Good grass keep in Shropshire has been fetching up to £175/acre for 6 month let. There are obviously patches fetching much less than that - I know to one block locally which has changed hands for £20/acre for 12 months.
Land for growing maize for anaerobic digesters has been fetching up to £400/ acre  :o

toaster

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 11:15:43 pm »
I'd say that the rental price would depend on whether its suitable for horses or not - round here at least every paddock/field seems to be split in to either suitable or not suitable and that dictates the rent

3 acre field:

Suitable £100+ a month (has most of these requirements: access, shelter, power, water, well fenced)

Not suitable - £40+ a month (lacking most of the above)

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 10:38:15 am »
I am not sure about price in your area but in Scotland people are cautious about renting by the year, although
I do. I pay £80 an acre for 11 months. Some farmers charge a price for the Summer grazing May to October  both months included and during the winter a per head price say 25p.

11 months suits me as I take everything home for lambing. But prices also vary on quality of grass and fencing.

If animals are on the ground over 365 days the renter can claim grazing rights here and it has happened,
were say an old couple who cant work the land rent it out and then cannot get rid of renter.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 05:30:01 pm »
Sheep grazing in Hampshire/Wilts for large parcels is 20p/head/week. The better the land, the more it will cost.

Converseley, on a plot that size, if it wasn't close to me, I would come to some agreement where no money changed hands - ie throw them a lamb, do the odd bit of fencing.

If its suitable for horses, however they will expect a lot of cash, until the horses trash it, of course and they need some nice sheep person to come and tidy the place up again.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS