Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bottle feeding and weaning  (Read 2872 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Bottle feeding and weaning
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:50:25 pm »
I have read lots of letters about this but am still not quite sure what to do for the best with a lamb I'm bottle feeding. At the minute he is in the field behind my house & I'm feeding him altho' he doesn't belong to me. He will be going to another field in the future where he won't be fed so I want to make sure he is fully ready. His owner won't be giving the lambs creep feed - so he'll just have grass. He is 7 weeks old now and I'm feeding him 3 times a day with about 200mls each feed. When would you suggest I start to cut his feed down? Should I cut the quantity of milk or the frequency of feeds? Thank you in advance for any advice!
4 pet sheep

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Bottle feeding and weaning
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 07:21:08 am »
We cut frequency of feeds until we were onto one bedtime feed at which point I reduced the quantity of 4 nights and then stopped. Only stopped 3 nights ago - bit of wailing at the usual bedtime feed time and I gave them some creep to keep them quiet.
We just give some creep to keep them tame now and they are mainly to grass with their 2 adult foster mums .
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS