Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bryony  (Read 4049 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Bryony
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:20:22 pm »
Bryony was our second ewe to lamb on 7th April. She had a very bouncy ram lamb and a lively ewe lamb who are growing well and are up to all sorts of mischief. Yesterday Bryony looked very bloated (left side which I know is indicative of gorging on lush grass) and her abdomen was (and still is) incredibly tight and hard. Udders are still soft but she's not as inclined to let the two lambs suckle. She looks very uncomfortable. If she hadn't already had her lambs I'd say she looked pregnant! I noticed a tiny bit of foamy saliva at the corner of her mouth yesterday and she was very easy to approach and examine. Unusual for her as she's usually ever so suspicious and jittery. This in itself is a sure sign that she's not right. We have been getting a closer relationship over recent months after three years of her wanting us nowhere near her (She had dreadful pneumonia when we first had her and aborted her triplets-we had to give her lots of unappreciated treatment-It's taken a while for her to forgive us!) but allowing us this much in her space isn't normal. We gave her 6m L.A. antibiotic, Calciject (does no harm) and a drench of 'Farmer's Friend' a general tonic with lots of good stuff in it if she is just a bit run down. Now today she's eating a little grass but still is big and slow and not inclined to feed babies. They must be getting some milk as they are frisky and tummies aren't hollow. My worry is that she has bloat and further to, as she isn't feeding them as much, they may have eaten too much grass (they have access to creep also now) and also get gassy which might be the reason for the full tums. I haven't actually witnessed them feeding over the last 24 hours. I'm just going out to try them with a bottle of Lamlac, that way I'll know if they are going hungry. I'm wondering if tomorrow I should try Bryony with some ProRumen, or has anyone else got any suggestions? Could it be anything other than bloat and is Pro Rumen the way to go if it is bloat?
Sorry to go around the houses. Just wanted to give as much info as I could before opinions are proffered.

Thanks in advance T.A.S. family.  :-*

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Bryony
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:35:58 pm »
It does sound like bloat.

60-80ml of vegetable oil (i use a syringe, careful they swallow) often helps sort out the bubbles and allows the gas to escape both ends!

Then Pro-Rumen to help rebalance the bugs.

You need to do something quite urgently, it can kill both adults and lambs  :-\

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:17:20 pm »
Thanks Jaykay, I did get some ProRumen down her when I went to feed the babies. Had to mix it twice as I forgot how gassy IT is and it blew the bottom half out of the syringe and the gunk all over my wellies :-[ Didn't know about the veg oil at that point. Don't suppose it works the other way 'round? I honestly don't think I'll get a hold of her again tonight. She's slow, but when I want to catch her....When I did get her she didn't struggle too much. She's calling very faintly back to the lambs now. I noticed the babies are feeding but I still gave them a quarter bottle each at which point they were both chewing the teat side on and squirting it over each other ::)
I'll certainly remember the veg oil for next time. Glad I did SOMETHING right anyway on this one.
Bless you for responding  :-*
ProRumen smells like the kitchen afer Sunday dinner, cold cabbage etc. Yum yum. Must've had some on my hand when I came back to check the ewes & lambs in the barn as Betsy got very excited and actually tried to bite me where it had spilled!

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:11:52 am »
The veg oil is a good tip.  I shall remember that one.  It's something I think most of us would have to hand, especially as sheep always seem to fall sick on a Saturday night when there's no chance of finding a vet willing to come out and take a look till Monday!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:19:51 am »
She doesn't sound too bad and the Pro-Rumen has got to help. Yes, doesn't it stink!

Bloat is often cos the wrong bugs have had a field day on sugary food (incl. lush grass), producing gas which then froths up so can't escape. The veg oil breaks down the froth, so the gas can get out. I had to use it for my goat Ellie once and she burped in my face and farted after I'd given it, deflating in the process,  so it definitely works  :D

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 11:43:18 am »
Sorry Jaykay, just can't stop laughing at the picture!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 01:36:06 pm »
I did at the time and was glad she was still facing me  ;)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 03:25:13 pm »
Fantastic stuff  ;D
Happy to report Bryony is vastly reduced in size and much more attentive to her two lambs ;) No full facial farting or belching thank goodness. My sheep are very talented at sneezing full in my face  :P How about yours?

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 10:42:17 pm »
So glad to hear about the improvement in Bryony! Just wondered about the vegetable oil - is it any sort of veg. oil?Thank you
4 pet sheep

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 07:09:30 am »
Yes, any sort of veg oil. I use inexpensive olive oil cos that's what's in the house since I cook with it - but it's the oiliness that works on the froth so any edible oil.

How are Bryony and lambs today?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS