Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My POL's haven't yet laid  (Read 5859 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: My POL's haven't yet laid
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 11:28:33 am »
Oh ...... plenty of time Bionic.  Are the Light Sussex pure breeds or a hybrid based on a Light Sussex?

We have had many Black Rock over the years. They have all been wonderful, hardy layers. When we bought a couple of hybrids in the Autumn, my daughter chose Bluebelles. They came into lay in Nov. and have been laying right through the winter. Our pure breeds, regardless of the time of year, have all taken a little longer to mature and begin laying.

They may venture further afield in time but sometimes that can be problematic! Mine get everywhere and it can only be a matter of time before Foxy Loxy discovers they have found the wood.  >:(

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 11:36:35 am »
in the hills,
I was told they are Light Sussex by the breeder but don't know if that means they are pure bred or not. To be honest it probably wouldn't have mattered to me either way.  I just wanted something that would lay eggs  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 11:51:01 am »
 ;D

Pootle

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Surrey/Hampshire border
    • Pootle Pekins
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 01:21:10 pm »
Pootle,
I have 2 light sussex, 1 black rock and 1 bluebelle and they are kept in a coop with a small run but the run door is always open so that they have free range. Actually they rarely stray from the area around their coop though.

Sally

At 19 weeks they're still practically babies ;D Some lay by then, others take much  longer to come into lay. If you've got any way of keeping them in a shed while the weather's so bad that might encourage them but they might just not be ready yet.

Are their combs and wattles red? Have you checked their pelvic bones?
Breeder of pekins and sabelpoots
Pootle Pekins

deepinthewoods

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 02:25:57 pm »
one of my first rir took till 28wks, bought at pol 16wks, so i didnt get an egg for 3 months :D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 02:34:45 pm »
As first time hen keepers,last year we purchased pol at 16 weeks in the view of learning how to handle them and get to know normal behaviour etc before the started laying which has it's own health worries to watch for.
One of ours didn't start laying until around 30 weeks.

The first egg will be worth waiting for bionic  :yum: sit back and enjoy their antics in the meantime   :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS