Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Full crop  (Read 5448 times)

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
Full crop
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:52:04 am »
one of my hens is looking very raggy and her crop is almost trailing on the ground. She has been like this for about six days. Is she constipated? The others seem to be bullying her also. Any ideas?

lindy

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Full crop
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:27:39 pm »
There is a condition called sour crop. I have no personal experience of it  - I would suggest doing a search for more info.
If you think it is full with food I was advised to try giving a few drop of castor oil(prob any lubricant oil) and gently massaging the crop. Obviously it is very difficult to give proper adivce without seeing the hen.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:42:46 pm »
After seeking advice I decided that my hen had "Sour Crop" so tried a number of things,none of which worked so I opted for surgery which my neighbour and I carried out in the garage. With a scalpel I cut a three inch slice into her crop. What we removed was remarkable! At least two pounds in weight of matted long strings of grass and other rubbish. We then tried to superglue the wound together but it wouldn't stick so I ended up stitching it up with purple sewing cotton. The hen seems chirpier then we have seen her for a long time although I have had to fashion a collar( something like you see dogs wearing when they come from the vets) to stop her pecking at the wound!
now 4 days on I am considering putting her back with the others. What do you think?

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 03:48:19 pm »
well done, braver than me. i would wait a while before putting her back as she may still get picked on. I would like to see her wound fully healed so the other birds can't make it worse. birds can be awful once they taste blood.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 03:48:39 pm »
Well done, brave you. Did you "knock" the bird out before surgery? Hope all goes well when you finally re introduce her to the others.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 04:05:15 pm »
No I didn't knock the hen out before operating. I tried hypnosis and it seemed to work. The hen lay still during the whole procedure. There was very blood and she didn't seem to suffer in any way.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 04:12:01 pm »
Amazing, well done again. I hope all continues to go as good as the last 4 days.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 09:01:12 pm »
i have an ulcer needs removing wanna give it a go.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 09:32:54 pm »
I can't believe how easy it was . I would recommend it to anyone  who can't afford to spend money on a vet. sorry you have an ulcer. try not to get stressed. Sit and watch your chickens!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 12:25:30 am »
You're braver than me.  I know how to hypnotise birds if it helps anyone else. We do it to pigeons for training the dogs so they lie still in the grass. The dogs is sent out to hunt, they point the bird, flush it and the bird then wakes up and flies back to the loft.  You swing the bird round in a circle for a few minutes then tuck it's head under its wing and place it on the ground. It will stay there till the dog flushes it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:25:17 pm »
My method of Hypnotising a chicken is different to yours. I simply hold them firmly on their back and sharply tap their beak several times. She will lie quiet for ages but you can repeat the beak tapping at will.

flipflopper

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Where my kids need to be
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 08:56:51 am »
Fantastic

great reading the tips

did'nt realise i had to get surgical gloves and gown to keep chickens  :D

ER has nothing on chicken keeping

Well done you

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 07:17:06 pm »
sadly we had to despatch the patient as her crop was full again and she was suffering. never mind, I tried.

flipflopper

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Where my kids need to be
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 10:16:19 pm »
that is a shame shiela

but good on you for trying and sharing this info with us.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 09:03:36 am »
Sorry to hear that the post-op didn't go well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS