Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's best pour-on for sheep?  (Read 26721 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: What's best pour-on for sheep?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 02:17:26 am »
The fact is that there is a bewildering array of choices out there and even the very experienced amongst us get it wrong when we try to do it from memory.

Look the products up in a compendium like NOAH - here's the Crovect page, showing how to use it as a preventative for Lice, Ticks, Headflies and Blowflies, and as a treatment for Blowflies.  http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Novartis_Animal_Health_UK_Ltd/Crovect_1_25_ACU-_w_v_Pour-on_Solution_for_Sheep/-27942.html  Check the 'Uses' page, where it tells you how long it is effective against the various beasties, and which specific beasties it covers (eg., Crovect does biting lice not sucking lice.)  Most products are listed in NOAH's pages; I find it invaluable.

For lice, ticks, etc, you can also look at injectables like Dectomax, Closamectin.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 12:36:38 pm »
For lice, ticks, etc, you can also look at injectables like Dectomax, Closamectin.

Both of these have a very long withdraw period (about 12 weeks if my memory serves me correctly), so OK for ewes and breeding animals, but not really ideal for lambs destined for killing
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 03:38:07 pm »

Both of these have a very long withdraw period (about 12 weeks if my memory serves me correctly), so OK for ewes and breeding animals, but not really ideal for lambs destined for killing
Dectomax is 9 weeks for sheep, Closamectin 4 weeks.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 06:10:17 pm »
I used dysect last year and it smells strong and is quite oily, just seemed a better product than vetrazine we used previously, and for the first time we had no fly strike, we had it every year prior to last, same 2 ewes affected and a lamb each year, its reasonably priced from mole valley farmers online, in fact most of their stuff is, I buy almost everything from them.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 09:40:35 pm »

Dectomax is 9 weeks for sheep, Closamectin 4 weeks.

Yes, I think it must be cydectin injection that I am thinking of.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 07:44:17 am »
Having chatted with the staff at the local co op I am now totally confused.  They tell me that Vetrazin is still available but that the withdrawal periods on nearly all the pour ons including Vetrazin will be significantly increased this year.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 02:57:57 pm »
Just get whichever one you fancy, prices vary, as do withdrawal periods, we got vetrazine to start with, have tried clik but prefer dysect.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 06:45:06 pm »
If it wasnt so bloody confusing there'd be no need for TAS

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS