Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's best pour-on for sheep?  (Read 26712 times)

Will.i.lamb

• Joined Apr 2012
What's best pour-on for sheep?
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:58:35 pm »
Hi

I'm new to the sheep game and was looking for a bit of advice on what is recommended as a preventative treatment for ticks, lice, blow fly etc.

There seems to be a bewildering range of treatments out there so i was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: What's best pour-on for sheep?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 10:05:34 pm »
Love the name!  Someone will tell us!  I have some Crovect on standby, but it's nasty stuff and dissapointingly you have to apply it in different ways for different outcomes - I was hoping to protect from blowfly and ticks and lice - but I think you have to choose!  Otherwise you'd overdose???? (one is a applied in a line on the skin down its spine, one is sprayed on wool at flystrike areas)  I am sure one of the wise ones will be along in a bit to help!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:11:20 pm »
We give the ewes a dose of Coopers Spot on after lambing, that does lice, keds and something else but doesn't prevent blowfly strike although it can be used to treat strike.

We apply Crovect after shearing so that the shearer, wool handlers or crafters (dependin on wherethe fleece goes) aren't exposes to handling treated wool.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 10:19:30 pm »
We use Crovect... it is nasty stuff  :( but it works for our flock.  we use it after lambing for lice as FiB says, down the spine and then we use it as a spray as the bloody flies come out around May in a T shape (shoulders, spine to the bottom and then again at shearing (bit less this time)  i have had sheep with fly strike and it won't happen again to my girls.  only thing is.... when will it stop being effective?

Will.i.lamb

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:30:32 pm »
Thanks for your reply,  which seems to agree with what i was thinking, which was that i will need a combination of products as there is no 'one size fits all' product out there.

Looks like it will be Crovect as an initial treatment, which was the one i was thinking about. I'll give this a go and see how i get on.

Ta

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 01:09:32 am »
Aawww wish I'd thought of that name! Love it  ;D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 08:39:36 am »
Im going to differ a bit. I heard that Clik is the best for prevention and treatment, whereas Crovect is mainly a treatment.

So while I will use either, I prefer to use Clik.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 09:15:15 am »
Clik lasts longer on the sheep - 16-24 weeks, but the withdrawal period is much longer than Crovect - 40 days.

Crovect lasts 6-8 weeks, withdrawal 8 days.

I use Crovect as I've had to deal with several cases of strike and it is hugely effective as a treatment.  However I may also invest in Clik this year as a preventative and see how it goes.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:13:32 am »
I'm glad you asked this question Will.i.lamb as I was wondering what to use this year. I have had Crovect and Clik recommended, but can't remember the details - I thought one was just for prevention and the other was for prevention and treatment? I have some very woolly sheep and want to prevent blowfly, ticks and lice. Do these treatments have to get onto the skin or is it just on the wool? If they are sprayed in the next few weeks (if we ever get any nice weather) would I then spray them again after shearing? I've also heard of Vetrazin?
Thanks
4 pet sheep

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 05:08:16 pm »
Does anyone know if clickzin is essentially the same as vetrazin? That has been my treatment of choice until it has stopped being made.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 05:46:16 pm »
I use crovect because it treats and prevents fly, while the clik just prevents and has a longer withdrawl  :wave:

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 05:58:46 pm »
Clik and Crovect work in different ways, but both are pretty vicious chemicals - which is why they are effective.  You can download the labels from the web very easily - note the safety stuff cos they really mean it and e meat withhold period cos it matters.  You must not shear within two months of applying Clik, for example.

Clik is a fire-and-forget treatment which interferes with the breeding cycle of the pest, is long lasting and protest the whole sheep.  Crovect will kill an infestation instantly but is effective only on the areas where it has been sprayed and will have to be repeated cos later in the season.  Novartis make both: they are complementary treatments in some ways.  At least if you use Clik you need some crovect in stock in case.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 06:02:24 pm »
Be aware that Crovect will not protect against ticks. If you want a product to do ticks, lice and flies, you need to use Dysect.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 06:49:59 pm »
Clikzin has replaced Vetrazin and has a shorter withdrawal period than clik, it protects against flystrike for 8 weeks and has a 7 day meat withhold period. Clik protects for 16 weeks and has a 40 day meat withhold period. Crovect is recommended for treating ticks, lice, headfly or established flystrike, it is not recommended for preventing strike. As others have said, it is best to treat after shearing to avoid chemicals contaminating the wool clip. Keeping bums clean until shearing is the best defence!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 06:59:18 pm »
Do most people treat after shearing? We stopped treating ewes and rams after shearing 4 years ago and have never had suffered any fly strike in them since. We have to treat lambs with fleece to prevent flystrike though.
However have been told if we do treat the ewes it will also help prevent them developing mastititis from flies so am wondering if we should start treating them again for this reason and would be interested in hearing others thoughts on this

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS