Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe advice needed  (Read 9557 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Ewe advice needed
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:10:11 pm »
Hi all not been here for ages, but need your worldly advice. Had a few problems with ewes an milk this year but will cover that in a different thread, as it seems to be sorted.
I have a ewe who lambed triplets yesterday early hours, all fine, mum feeding lambs and herself well, until 10 hours later. She stopped eating, was scouring and down. I wormed her, gave her an anti biotic and glucose, no change, spoke to vet who advised 80ml of calciject, made no difference, I topped up the lambs during the night, and gave the ewe this morning a homemade drench (found on here by VSS who I know to be very knowledgeable) of egg yolk, milk and black treacle. I also rolled ivy leaves into her mouth and she ate a few, also managed to get in some cow parsley and hay, not much but some. Spoke to vet this morning he thinks possible twin lamb disease but also possible infection or parasitic problem? (both covered yesterday) he frowned on the giving of ivy but have always been told to do this as an appetite stimulant by many 'old hands', he also said lay off too much sugar as it can upset the rumen. He said to continue trying to get her to eat, and although there's not really much else I haven't already done he can come and give a steroid, any advice out there please, thank you  :sheep:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Ewe advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:18:26 pm »
I would avoid treacle if she's scouring - I know what gingerbread does to me  :D :D

As well as the things you have done, it sounds as if she needs some nutritional support.  We have used a porage made of something like digestive biscuits or sheep coarse mix softened and mushed with hot water, plus a little salt and a tablespoon of glucose powder, and given orally with a wide tipped syringe (as supplied for use with a lamb tube), in small amounts.  You may need to encourage her to swallow by stroking her throat.  Is she drinking? - you can also syringe in water

I suspect you should supplement the lambs?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:22:27 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply, no wont give any more treacle, Yes she is drinking, am keeping an eye on lambs they aren't hungry and have reasonable tummies, they aren't keen on the bottle so don't want to encourage it too much unless I have to. She gets up to let them feed when I push her, just off to check them again.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:11:19 pm »
You are doing all the right stuff and I would keep up the antibiotics and add some active yoghurt and flat lucozade to what you are doing....good luck!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 01:14:05 pm »
She's still down so have called the vet, will keep you posted.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 01:15:22 pm »
I would be very surprised if she developed twin lamb disease post lambing. The hint is in the technical title - pregnancy toxaemia. It is something ewes get when they are pregnant.

It can often be very difficult to pinpoint what  is wrong with a sick ewe. We had one a few days ago. She had lambed a week earlier and then suddenly for no apparent reason went off her food, and feet. A couple of days later she is fine again. Who knows what the problem was!

If in doubt we often give Tetroxy and multivit. It covers infections that you can't identify positively and the multivit will give a boost.

It's possible your vet doesn't know either. They don't always, so give some sort of general purpose remedy, like calciject which won't do any harm whatever the problem is.

She might just be feeling crap after giving birth - I know I did after my kids were born ;)
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 01:46:57 pm »
I thought they could still go down with tld post lambing? Your probably right and it's probably something that would sort itself out, but I worry that without eating for 24'hrs and with triplets to feed I can't afford to take a chance, I usually manage with a phone call to the vet and administer drugs myself, but this time think I need help, he'll be here soon.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 02:33:29 pm »
Hope it all works out with your ewe, at least the vet can hopefully shed some light on it... :hshoe:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 03:31:20 pm »
Vets been he thinks its gut related, gave her steroid injection and glycol drench, not much else to do but wait,,can't even force feed her now, she spits it out.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 04:04:56 pm »
That's where syringing liquified stuff onto the back of her tongue works - it goes down before she can spit it out and helps to keep the rumen going.  Natural yoghurt as woollyval suggests will also be of benefit if it's gut related.  Good luck - hope you don't end up with three pet lambs and no mum. 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 04:11:42 pm »
This is going to sound nut I know, but get hold of some 'science selective' rabbit food, most bigger pet shops sell it except pets @ home. Smells lovely full of fibre, and can be soaked in warm water and syringe fed (found this out when my rabbit got GI stasis. ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 05:48:06 pm »
We've had three ewes (just over 1%) go off their food, scoury and depressed, after lambing this year.  All have recovered, all had antibiotics and B-vits, one had worm drench, one had anti-inflammatories and vet-only a/bs.  (The latter one also had raspy breathing.) 

All needed a rest in a warm dry shed, all drank a lot of fresh clean water when available.  They picked at fresh lamb cake, eventually began to pick at fresh hay. 

Only one couldn't manage to feed her lambs through her illness - she had triplets and adored them but couldn't bear them on her, so we penned them next to her where she could nuzzle and see and smell them but they couldn't get to her teats.  She's better now but the triplets are in the pet pens  :'(

We and the vets (three of them) still don't know what the problem was.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 06:43:23 pm »
Sally sounds similar, she is slightly raspy, no temperature, it's unusual for adult sheep to scour. Put her in the garden on good grass but she barely nibbled, have drenched her with 2 actimels and will give yoghurt amongst other recommendations later .  ::). It's so frustrating!

PDO_Lamb

• Joined May 2011
    • Briggs' Shetland Lamb
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 03:57:55 pm »
Apart from an infection, the metabolic thing is a bit tricky at the time of lambing. Was she short of concentrates whilst nesting which masks the shy feeder you might spot earlier on or has she gutsed herself on too much concentrates as soon as she has the capacity after lambing? I can never tell and keep glycol drench on hand to give several doses per day to keep the metabolism in sync if a ewe looks off colour.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 05:42:43 pm »
if all else fails and it is TLD, vet could try what ours did, took some rumen contents from one of his own ewes  (live ewe) as my ewes rumen had packed up. and made her drink it. Ewe recovered completely (altho we lost the unborn lamb but would have lost both otherwise)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS