Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Solve my problem...towed mowers  (Read 4518 times)

Privatedoc

• Joined Apr 2012
Solve my problem...towed mowers
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:18:21 am »
OK folks, first post but have gleaned lots of info so far so thanks in advance.

I have 3 Acres, 1 is a formal lawn and 2 flat pasture with occn stones (not many and currently clearing it)

I have a Husquevarna LTH151 15Hp ride-on which was used for both but is now knackered (deck only)

I have removed all the decking etc and have a great wee 15 Hp tractor left  which runs brilliantly. I bought a big honda mower for the lawn and now need a towed mower for the pasture.

I have discounted a flail as too expensive (I've no PTO so need a powered one) so am looking at 'rough cut'  or 'wild cut' mowers

currently , the two in the frame are the Wessex Country AT110  and the Agrifab 42" one

has anyone any advice/experience of these, the agrifab at 250Kg might be too heavy to tow?? but the pasture is very flat.   , the agri also has 'swing blades' are these worth the extra expense (in case I hit a stone)....remember, the husky deck coped pretty well with the pasture but was pretty low quality and eventually fell to bits.

Thanks

John (sunny Ayrshire !)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Solve my problem...towed mowers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:28:32 am »
I use a Quad-X which I tow behind a quad bike. I've got the Wild Cut one but there's a smaller one for more civilised grass  ;) Mine is very steep, uneven rushy pasture.

Privatedoc

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:44:56 am »
Do you mean the 'compact rotary mower' they do?.....looks like it might fit the bill, I have a quad-x dealer close to me.

how is the build quality etc with quad-x ?

thanks

john

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 05:58:07 pm »
This is the one I have Quad-X wildcut mower so a bit bigger and beastier than their compact mower.

It's lasted 5 years here in pretty tough conditions, the only thing I've had to replace several times was the bit (note technical terms) that held the blades on - it tends to shear when I mow boulders! I gather it's a sacrifical part, to protect the blades, which would be more expensive to break and replace. Eventually I got the local agri merchant to make a stainless one rather than the soft steel ones and that's been an OK compromise - fewer replacements but haven't damaged the blades (much) either.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS