Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broken Chain saw - 4 days old!  (Read 10697 times)

robert waddell

Re: Broken Chain saw - 4 days old!
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 10:09:04 am »
difference of opinion here yes the vid shows what happens  when things go wrong  but how do you guard a scythe a saw bench or a log splitter or come to thing of it anything that rotates(there was a farmers wife killed with a turbo mower blade that came of and the trajectory and her position in the field hit her on the head )you have to be focused alert and very knowledgeable on the saw and chain the amount of plonkers that kill a saw because they omitted oil from the petrol mix
the chain in question is a Carlton b2 Oregon did make an equivalent you used to get an ice chain that was meant for cutting silage  Atkinson made a silage spade electrically driven    but these methods are long gone superceded by shear grabs
you have to be constantly vigilant all aspects of timber harvesting is potentially dangerous :farmer:

Simple Simon

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 12:16:44 pm »
I don't think we're disagreeing on much. 

You have to consider other people's safety, particularly those with Darwinian inclinations. Using a scythe is not a spectator sport.  I've seen a lot of near accidents in my time, the ones that make you shiver when you remember them like the man who approached a trees feller from behind and tapped him on the shoulder while he was cutting and 100% focused.  He swung round, saw in hand, and missed the idiot by about nothing.   I suppose these days youd get in trouble for not having cordoned off the area and put signs up.

I bought a lighter modern husqvarna last year.  It handles nicely but is far harder to start than my old stihl.   And for felling a tree I'll always use the stihl with its power, big spikes and less safe but faster chain.

Wat happened to Danarm?

Simple Simon

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 01:15:34 pm »
yes simple Simon that is why mechanical harvesters  have bullet proof glass in the cabs
the forking idiot that came up the back of the tree feller  had it been me he would have been laid out
to make the area safety compliant you would need to secure it with heraz fencing tape or rope is not an effective barrier just an acknowledgement from the person doing the work that there is a situation that you may be able to get compensation  :farmer:

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 10:57:16 am »
It is difficult to decide to do the right thing when a new cheapo chain saw is alot less than a service/repair on a "Husky"

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 11:11:22 am »
i once priced a tractor by buying from the spare parts list  it was 3 times the price and you still had to assemble it
just wait to all these electronic control ed cars come of age to get air bags changed etc  the breaker yards will be full of decent vehicles that cost more to run than buy :farmer:

Simple Simon

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 12:55:04 pm »
You are right.  They've just made a sneaky change to the MOT standards so that if a dashboard warning light is illuminated it's an automatic fail.   Most of the taxis round here have a least one light showing.

robert waddell

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 01:09:14 pm »
just take the bulb out i did that years ago with a range rover and it was an enthusiast that was very strict doing the test as well :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 03:54:30 pm »
It is difficult to decide to do the right thing when a new cheapo chain saw is alot less than a service/repair on a "Husky"

Yes, I thought that too. However, have a look online to see how many folks you can find who've regretted buying a Stihl or Husky...... then try the reverse  ;).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 07:49:47 pm »
Better warn everyone there are some 'Chinese' Stihl copies out there at the moment. Look identical at first glance. But then you can see where they have saved money with inferior quality. £150 doesn't buy a Stihl so that's the first giveaway. Friend bought one and hasn't dare start it -that dangerous!

Can order Stihl parts from a distributor here in Burton upon Trent called Chainsdirect and they will ship to France MAK as they do regularly for many others. Also do safety clothing, wedges and Silky tree surgeon saws if you are serious about felling stuff.

Simple Simon

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 11:52:32 pm »
just take the bulb out i did that years ago with a range rover and it was an enthusiast that was very strict doing the test as well :farmer:

Trouble is the modern warning displays are all LEDs and you can't get near them without dismantling half the car.   

I gather that the electrical components on modern cars are coded into that car and won't work on another model of the same car.  Makes thievery more difficult but guarantees super profit margins for the dealers..

arwelcoed

• Joined Feb 2012
  • West midlands
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 07:04:03 pm »
Safety gear for chainsaw use is a must! I have been a full time tree surgeon for 15 years and have seen more bad injuries than I care to list here, and even more near misses!!
Best bit of advise I can give to anyone who just need to cut logs, bit of fencing or nothing else to demanding is buy one of the smaller sthil chainsaw about £200 quid and buy the new Oregon power sharp chain and bar for it (about £50) as a sharp chain is safer and it makes your engine last longer due to not getting abused.
Plus 12-24 months down the road stick the original sthil bar and chain back on and sell it on EBay for about £150! No service, no cheap replica problems to deal with.
If you have a large tree or trees to deal with then get a quote from a professional, you would be surprised at the amount of work you can get done for the cost of a big saw. Safe cutting everyone!!  :wave:

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 10:11:09 am »
I'd also really recommend doing a training course - husband did a Lantra one organised by DASH. Not cheap, but neither is his life!
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS