Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disbudding - another new experience  (Read 7112 times)

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
Disbudding - another new experience
« on: April 23, 2012, 06:51:57 pm »
Took my three to the vet today - it seems so heartless but I know it is essential.  They actually didn't seem too bad afterwards, just look ghastly.

Incidentally, since I wasn't sure what it would cost, for anyone in the same position it was £73 for the lot.  I know it varies but at least it gives some idea.  I didn't bother ringing around for quotes as this is the only vet recommended by all the local goat-owners.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Disbudding - another new experience
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 06:57:32 pm »
Glad I have a breed that stay horned  :P

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 07:51:01 pm »
£73 for 3 disduddings is VERY expensive.... I pay an average of £15 inc VAT !

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:06:56 pm »
we are charged £25 each  - were they properly knoocked out at that?
Only I've heard that some vets are doing local anaesthetics ::)  rather than full...

As you say, it varies. ANd if there's a choice of one vet, then you have to pay :)
Little Blue

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:12:26 pm »
Two questions - is it REALLY necessary to do this? and also, once they are removed, do the goats still butt each other as if they were there? :o
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:33:03 pm »
I would say definitely necessary to disbud them. Not only can they damage each other with horns, they are a terrible menace to other livestock, pets and children (have I put that in the right order  :-\ ). Also, you can't risk mixing horned and unhorned goats.  However, there will be other people on here who disagree with me... I guess it's personal choice.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 08:43:47 pm »
It's a bit like wing clipping which I'm not a fan of either, don't like tampering, just keep out of the way :o
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 08:46:38 pm »
Lots of people say it's essential and how dangerous they are with horns. Certainly horns can cause damage.

Old English stay horned and I suppose we just learn to operate with horns in mind.

No-one disbuds horned sheep do they?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 08:49:46 pm »
stockfence is a big problem with horned kids, they can stick their heads through ,but can't get them back out, so you end up cutting your fence to unstick e'm, then next day you can do it all over again.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:54:13 pm »
I bought a herd that was already mixed (horned and unhorned) and at the time the horned girl was bottom of the pecking order. I've come a cropper with a horn stuck under my ribs once (she didn't do it on purpose, I happened to bend down to pick something up as her horns came up). I have 4 children and they have regular (non goaty) friends - I am on tenterhooks with the smaller children near savannah.
We had Sixpence, our Tog kid, disbudded at 4 days. I felt mean but it felt like a measured decision based upon experiences with savannah.
She has also had her horns caught in the fencing and as she pulls back she sometimes breaks down the fencing, the vet has received a blow in the 'boy area' from her horns and I would find it more difficult to rehome her due to horns should something awful happen and my not being able to keep them (heaven forbid!)     
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 09:29:36 pm »
My kids this year won't be disbudded but that is only because the lady having them has polled and horned goats. If hers were disbudded mine would be also.
 I have one polled nanny kid so far, if only they could all be like that ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 09:44:13 pm »
I wouldnt have a horned goat as I have stock fencing/chilren visit me a lot and they are show diary goats. For disbudding at vets this year I paid about £25 ea

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 10:37:55 pm »
mine were £15 + drugs + VAT= £22 x3 = £66

someone had suggested I sell them @ £30 ea to someone she knew, they weren't interested @ £50!
 that wouldn't even cover the mating, feeding (+ inkid mum), worming, disbudding etc!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 10:40:30 pm »
I nearly lost a hand to a horned goat many years ago.......also I have seen the terrible result of a horned kid ripping its mothers udder off.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 08:21:02 am »
Aaagh, wish you hadn't said that  :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS