Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I feel sick to my stomach.  (Read 3356 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
I feel sick to my stomach.
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:36:34 pm »
I was putting the boys to bed just now, and they were both waiting for me to shut the bottom stable door for their usual nightly treat. I shut the door and heard a terrible squealing noise. It was terrible, so frightening that Billy jumped over the door! I looked in to find that Toby had trapped his foot in the door. I opened it back up as quickly as I could and he limped out. Within about 20 seconds he was walking normally again, and he was happy enough to go back inside and have his biscuit treat.
I just hope that he will be okay tomorrow. I couldnt see any damage, but it was getting dark. Hopefully it will just have been his toe.
I feel so guilty that I made my little boy cry. The noise was terrifying.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: I feel sick to my stomach.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 08:43:35 pm »
Just an accident Mary, extra treats and kisses help  :-*.  I was once shooing our Tog X goats back into their field and one jumped over the fence instead of going through the gate and caught her foot around the top two wires (put there to make the fence higher) - she caught it in a loop and was left dangling by her foot while I was running around mental trying to find the metal cutters.  Luckily she was ok in a couple of days but she bleated very loudly for about 10 minutes. 
These things sent to try us, don't feel bad, get yourself a cocoa  :-*
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:59:58 pm »
oh, poor little fella - but you can be sure he made more noise than it hurt!
keep an eye on it, spoil him (them both) rotten ... and don't beat yourself (silly sod should have moved!!)
;) :bouquet:
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:04:05 pm »
There is no doubt about it, goats are not the little stoics that sheep are - they make plenty of noise!
I'm sure it sounded far worse than it was, the fact that he was walking normally so soon suggests so. I expect he will milk it for extra cuddles and treats  ;)

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 10:42:43 pm »
I'm sure they are all correct! More noise than damage, cuddles and treats sounds like a good recipe for getting better!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:11:22 pm »
Just an accident Mary, extra treats and kisses help  :-*.  I was once shooing our Tog X goats back into their field and one jumped over the fence instead of going through the gate and caught her foot around the top two wires (put there to make the fence higher) - she caught it in a loop and was left dangling by her foot while I was running around mental trying to find the metal cutters.  Luckily she was ok in a couple of days but she bleated very loudly for about 10 minutes. 
These things sent to try us, don't feel bad, get yourself a cocoa  :-*

I had a dog did that once and dog's paws are more delicate than goat's hooves.  fortunately someone came along as I was trying to support her weight and was able to untangle her.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 01:35:26 am »
Last year I was giving the goats Rosebaywillow Herb, using baleband slip-looped round the stems and hung upside down, luckily I was still outside whenI heard one of the youngsters screaming, I ran in and she had managed to get her front foot in the loop, how she managed it I don't know, it was tight round the stems and quite high up, certainly her full stretch, but of course she had fallen back and was hanging by the leg, I had to support her weight while loosening the loop. She was OK straight away, I still can't work out how she managed it, but the noise was terrifying.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 12:27:50 pm »
I know it must have been frightening for you to hear Toby yelling, and yes, his foot probably hurt ....but .....goats are well known for being very vocal and kicking a fuss up for the slightest pain.  I am sure after a few minutes, Toby forgot all about it.

Over the years I have had some frightening experiences with my goats, involving legs,necks, and other parts of their bodies getting stuck in quite unusual places.  Usually once freed,  they shut up and carried on eating, leaving me a nervous wreck :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS