Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another lamb! Mum not well and not feeding her much  (Read 7782 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Another lamb! Mum not well and not feeding her much
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 07:05:07 pm »
Before I top her up, lamby has pinched sides and a hunched back, definately no protuding belly :-\ She hasn't till now been getting enough from mum.
Mum loves the lamb and is doing all the right things, she is penned in a small jug already.
Mum had a really rough delivery (head out, no legs and was REALLY hard to get the lamb back in to correct) and has spent since then grinding her teeth etc and showing obvious pain. Painkillers are definately helping, and now the lamb is stronger and more persistent I think we will get there.
So if I don't feed the lamb anymore now, how long do I leave it if she is pinched and hunched again?

Thankies all please keep the advice coming :-*
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 07:12:42 pm »
Ok, perhaps halve the amount you've been giving over the next day, that is half the amount, same frequency,  and watch to see what the lamb does in response.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 07:23:27 pm »
K will do, I have only been letting her have enough to fill her belly out a bit. Really really don't want a bottle babe if it can be helped but I am confident that as mum feels better she will soon be taking over :love:

Thank you very much :-*
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 09:22:17 pm »
It sounds as though lambie is trying to drink from mum and mum's skipping away.  I'd be getting in there and holding mum still to let lambie have a proper suck.  Just a few seconds the first time then a bit longer each time.  Then give lambie the bottle top-up.  Hopefully quite quickly mum gets used to the feeling and her milk comes in, and lambie won't need the top-ups.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 09:59:08 pm »
Just got back from another check and mum is standing comfortably with her head up and chewing the cud, so the painkillers have really worked well. And a certain little lamby is sucking away ;D ;D
Poor girly she must have been really sore, vet has given me enough pain relief for 3 more days, so that should do the trick
I will try the top up after she's sucked, thanks for that Sally!
Thanks for all the advice everyone your support has meant the world :love:
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 03:35:19 pm »
A quick update for you all, I let them out onto the grass this morning as the sun is so warm today.
I now cannot catch the little turd so I think we have success!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mum is MUCH brighter again today, and eating the lovely grass we have here as though she is starved.
Thanks again all, I am packing the bottle away again :D :D
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

deepinthewoods

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 04:15:07 pm »
well done cw, your stroke of genius with the goat colostrum probably saved the day by the sounds of it!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 05:47:58 pm »
Oh good, that's excellent news  :thumbsup:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 06:45:20 pm »
Goat colostrum is perfect, I keep it frozen for lambing time, much better than volac which the lambs don't seem to like! Getting them on grass is also good to get them eating, glad its worked out for you :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS