Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Badger Face Sheep  (Read 6303 times)

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
Badger Face Sheep
« on: April 22, 2012, 02:43:38 pm »
Hi everyone, anyone on here keep badgerface sheep???
We have a few Shetlands which i want to keep as a hobby flock - they are so friendly, different colors and I cant imagine letting any of their offspring go for meat if I cant sell them. So I am looking for another hardy breed and am thinking of badgerface.
Can badger face be ready to sell for meat in the autumn if just fed on grass??
Do they eat hedges and trees as much as my shetlands!!
Do they taste good - i dont like lamb as went off it in my first pregnancy!!
Any other suggestions of breed that are easy, hardy, native, good mothers and taste good as these  will have to make some money!!!
I made the mistake of buying my Shetlands as pets and fell in love with them, the next breed i get will not be pets or thats what i am telling myself!!!
thanks everyone

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Badger Face Sheep
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:59:05 pm »
Well, Hebrideans fill most of your criteria.  They certainly taste good, especially at 16 months, as their meat is slow-grown so fine grained and tender - a bit closer to beef in a way than lamb, more so than Shetland meat.  They are hardy, good mothers, can be crossed esp with Shetlands if you already have a tup, native.  They do however like to browse if it's available....and until you have them tamed (and the Shetlands will help with this) they can be a bit frisky  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 09:55:54 pm »
Fleecewife has pretty much summed up what i would have posted,but i would liken the meat is like comparing chicken to duck compared with commercial lamb.Grey faced dartmoor would be my 2nd choice for taste.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:02:31 pm »
We have badger faced sheep (see my avatar!!) and they are LOVELY!!! Very stable and sensible. Very intelligent and hardy. All ours lamb outside without intervention and we haven't had any problems. They have all been good Mums and none of them have died on us.......yet!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 10:18:23 am »
My daughter (aged 11) keeps a flock of 13 badger face ewes. They are really good fun, look fantastic, and all the breeders we have come across have been really helpful and encouraged her. I don't generally like lamb, preferring to eat mutton, but I have to say that the badger faced lambs are the best lamb we have eaten.

Also, remember that there are two colour variations to choose from, which adds a bit of interest.

Where abouts are you based? They can be quite hard to source if you are on the east coast, but in Wales and the borders, they are quite easy to find.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 11:52:33 am »
Hi everyone, thanks for the Helpful replies.
VSS we are near Hereford and the Welsh border so several breeders around.
Pleased to hear from people with badger face too,seems like they really are a nice breed.
one more question -  will they eat their way through a hedge like my shetlands have!!  we are renting a house with land at the moment and the hedges are not good, didnt want to spend loads so have used electric fence to keep in.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 12:51:47 pm »
They might, but so might any breed of sheep. A hedge has to be really top notch in order to be sheep proof.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 01:15:07 pm »
The Badger Faced Sheep Society AGM is this Saturday in Builth Wells

The website is good and has all the local breeders. There are some near you.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS