Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Golden Guernsey Goats wanted N Devon/ N Somerset/ N Cornwall  (Read 4277 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Golden Guernsey Goats wanted N Devon/ N Somerset/ N Cornwall
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:04:44 am »
Looking for a couple of goats, ideally in kid but also consider youngsters.

Also will they graze with my sheep (shetlands and GfD), or bets separate?

thx
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Golden Guernsey Goats wanted N Devon/ N Somerset/ N Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 04:39:05 pm »
I believe the general consensus on this is they are best separately due to worms being passed from sheep to goats and goats don't cope to well with high worm burdens but I could be corrected by someone with more experience.

Goats as a rule are not 'grazers' as such and appreciate browse material in the form of hay and safe branches that are not toxic to them. They will eat grass but do not chomp it down as close as your sheep will so they will be good companions in that respect. they will also eat certain leaves that sheep might ignore - docks, brambles etc.

Goats are less hardy than sheep, as you probably know and so will need access to shelter.  Am also thinking that newborn kids might not fare too well with a flock of sheep in the same paddock with a view to vulnerability to illnesses etc...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:36:26 pm »
Thx plumseverywhere. I wouldn't have lambed/kidded together, but will plan on being seperate.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Golden Guernsey Goats wanted SW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:45:09 am »
Just bumping this up, will travel further afield within reason (as much for the goats sake as mine)

kelpy

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 02:03:36 pm »
hi,
we keep goats & sheep together.
during the winter the goats are shut in.
but during spring & summer they run together,the goats have access to a shelter at all times & only the rams use the shelters when its raining..
my sheep are scared of the goats,so at feed time i call the goats in,shut them in feed them then feed the sheep.
had no probs at all keeping them together,but we do worm regularly.

kelpy

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 02:06:07 pm »
oops forgot to add.we don't have many movements on & off with the sheep,but when i do get something in we keep them seperate for a month.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 12:38:25 pm »
Anyone know John Hankinson's no so i can call him re GG's he may have for sale?

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 04:15:49 pm »
Thx to everyone who responded, spoken to him.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS