Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and Horses  (Read 6809 times)

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
Pigs and Horses
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:10:49 am »
I am looking at where would be best suited to keep a few pigs at our place. I have an area right beside our stable block that could work as I need it cleared, however.....and please don't laugh ;) is there an issue with the pigs being so close to where the horses are? I wouldn't want either of them spooked....thanks  :pig:v :horse:
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

robert waddell

Re: Pigs and Horses
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:53:29 am »
the pigs don't give a flying fart about there location but the horses that is a different mater
some horses accept pigs others are just daft around pigs :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:55:47 am »
Your horses might be a bit startled at first but they'll soon get used to the pigs. My neighbours often put new horses in our fields and after a day or two they ignore the pigs. I think it's just that pigs are something they don't see often.

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 09:05:32 am »
we only have one that cannot stand the pigs but the rest are fine. its all good experience for them.

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 09:20:34 am »
Most Horses have a naturally inbuilt fear of horses, they'll often react just to the smell of them.  However its possible to get the horses accustomed to pigs and to desensitise them.  I have a lot of horses (i breed them) and have just got my first pigs, i think its great whilst the horses are young, to get them over their fear!  I've put the pigs basically between the horses fields and the stable block so they have to walk past them to come in, and also as the horses are currently getting fed at their field gates, the pigs are probably only 10meters away from them.  So far, no reactions that weren't expected, just a couple of the ponies are standing sniffing the air!  i'm not anticipating too many issues.  I think the best thing is to make it so as you lead your horses to their stables, they can definately SEE the pigs, so they don't get too startled.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 10:00:03 am »
Even our Arabians don't mind the pigs , they met them several times when the pigs decided to go walkies, Some horses dont like pig noises if they can't see the cause of the noise.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 12:38:45 pm »
As long as the horses can see the pigs and are living with them it should be fine. But take it gradually, they will be some of them very very spooked by it initially. In time they should acclimatise and be a lot better with pigs than horses who never see them until they meet them one day on a hack.

I have to admit it is the reason I have got pigs....

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 12:49:46 pm »
My ponies (two of which were wild off the moor when we got them) have been fine with my GOS girls. They didn't particularly like my Kune Kune when we had her but that's because she used to follow them around because she thought she was a horse (long story...)

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 01:39:19 pm »
All our ponies are fine with the pigs, they're quite used to them being around.  The ponies will quite happily be out next door to the pigs in the fields or be stabled next to them  :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 03:38:41 pm »
Here's proof that not all horses dislike pigs  ;)  ;D

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 06:07:50 pm »
Love the picture HH !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 08:06:19 am »
Once again, thanks for all the advice..... :thumbsup:
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 10:38:27 pm »
Ive got 9 horses and 2 pigs and most of them love each other. Two young geldings were leaning over the paddock fence yesterday grooming the pigs while they slept - was fab.

The biggest horse we have is 17'2 and was a bit spooked by them - we've slowly introduced them over the last week and now no problems.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 08:15:40 am »
the thing pigs don't like at all is Hot Air Balloons , something to do with the noise the burners make will cause major panic .

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 04:40:10 pm »
My 4 horses weren't the least bit bothered when the pigs came.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS