Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaner food  (Read 11252 times)

princesspiggy

Re: Weaner food
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 11:14:11 am »
we feed harbro weaners no problem. if u buy in bulk it is cheaper, or get from east coast viners cheaper still. at 4 months move to growers.
 ;D :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 01:09:36 pm »
On the buying in bulk subject....
Yes, there's no doubt it's cheaper to buy it by the tonne - but unless you're going to use it all within 2-3 months you'll end up with stuff that's out of date and about as much use as a chocolate teapot  :-\
I think it's normally a 3 month best before date, but just double check the bags or with the supplier so you don't end up having to chuck feed away  ;)
Karen  :wave:

Mandy - we love ya even when you're grumpy  :-* :bouquet:
How's the piglet doing now?

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 03:50:48 pm »
Mandy just cannot be as grumpy as Lillian  a bag of snakes does not even come near it
a ton is the minimum that most will deliver that can be made up of anything to the ton
even if a group are buying and getting a drop of at one location that will save you money
but do have it in vermin proof containers :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 05:26:06 pm »
Mandy just cannot be as grumpy as Lillian  a bag of snakes does not even come near it
BUT Robert, Mandy hasn't just stopped smoking, nor does she need to put up live with you  ;) :D :D :-*

princesspiggy

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 07:34:34 pm »
with our feed supplier, a tonne can include pony feed or chicken feed...if that helps.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 03:46:40 am »
Berkshire Boy,

unless I am mistaken it doesn't come to 540lb as they don't eat 4lb a day all the time. 

I thought it was about 1.5lb at 8 weeks and 2.5lb at 12 weeks etc..

Can someone confirm I am correct as I pick up my weaners in 2 weeks time and don't want to starve them.

Sally

You're absolutely right, Sally, and I nearly posted to this effect.  (Spooky how similar Sallys can be...   :))  But when I worked out the difference in the overall total it was so minor I let it ride!  :D

I feed my OSBs and OSB x's a little less than 1lb per month of age per pig per day, up to a maximum of just less than 4lbs a day.  I use an empty dog food tin - the largest size - as a measure; it holds about 1lb 10oz of cake.  Each pig[let] gets one of those per day per 8 weeks of age, up to a maximum of two tins per day in summer when outdoors with forage and a bit of fruit  / veg.  (They get more in winter and cold wet weather.)

If you can see the line of the muscle that lies over the ribs, you've got their condition bang on.  If you can't, they're too fat.  Have a look at some of Karen's pics for examples of pigs in perfect condition.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 09:48:33 am »
All the wonderful Sallys,
I wasn't saying feed at 4lb a day it was just an average to show that they eat more than 100 kg in their life as holz306 had asked.
Mine are fed upto about 5lb a day at their oldest so that averages 4lb overall.
A bit of common sence needs to be used, feeding all depends on the breed, the feed etc etc etc.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 09:55:29 am »
Thanks Sally.
The dog food tin sounds a good idea. I only have smaller tins myself but will weigh out the amount it takes and adjust the number of tins accordingly.

Berkshire Boy,
I usually have lots of common sense but feel like a first time mum, uncertain of what I am doing (I don't even have them yet). I am sure it will all work out fine once we get used to each other.

thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

robert waddell

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 10:00:12 am »
common sense and be prepared to adjust      one sow is fed 9 kilos a day when lactating and still goes skeletal
always check there dung soft and slobbery they are getting to much :farmer:

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 10:16:22 pm »
Being a real newbie with pig(lets).

Even though Blinkers gave me a guide to how much my piggies would eat i found they didn't eat as much at the start, less than the 450kg each sugested at 8 weeks, possible because they were too busy digging up my beautiful lush grass chicken pen (temporary accomadation) and finding allsorts of 'what ever piggies find to eat in the dirt'.

They have 2.5 scoops each twice a day now  but only if they clear it up with in 30mins of putting it in the trough (think some goes to the birds) otherwise I cut it down/put it up depending if they clear it up, haven't actually measured how much they are having now, just go by how quickly they clear it up; with boiled spud and a bit of bread and any vegies/apples etc at lunch time as an extra.  Night time when i shut them in they get another 'clover butter' tub of nuts.

They seem happy enough - digging, playing, lying about in the sun or out of the wind in their shed, putting on weight, don't think they are too fat - will check what Sallyinthenorth said about the  fat over the ribcage - and their poos are normal.

I'm sure they would let me know if they aren't getting enough. :pig: :pig: :pig:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:18:45 pm by dyedinthewool »
You are never to old to learn something new

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 08:14:43 am »
For Gods sake people get a grip, if you're going to get piglets get a good pig manual and read the bloody thing! ::) >:(
A pound of feed per month of age so at 8wks they need 2lb, 3lb at 12wks, 4lb at 16wks and so on upto 6lb but you may find the max too much depending on breed and stay at around 5lb particularly if they're getting extras by way of fruit and veg.
Simples
Start them on a grower at 8wks then gradullly mix in sow/weaner nuts as they grow, don't take pigs at 5wks or i'll bray your lugs! >:(
Mandy :pig:

Go for it Mandy  ;D

Just to add - if it's Kune Kune, at least halve the guidance!   :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Liquidator

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Dornoch, Sutherland, Highlands
  • It's a Landrover thing, you wouldn't understand :)
    • Ospisdale Herd of Gloucestershire Old Spots
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 03:29:05 pm »
I try to wean mine on to sow rolls by week 5-6. Before that they get a warm porridge mix of sow rolls and hot water, which they seem to love.

I find that East Coast Viners are the best for bulk deliveries (to the Highlands) and a 1 ton load can be a mix of pig, duck, hen food.

I'm appalled that a breeder would let anyone buy a piglet at 5 weeks old. Whether it's weaned or not!!!

Here's some pics of my very clever Saddleback 'Bertha' after giving birth to 13 piggies. Unfortunately only 10 survived with one of them being bottle fed by my 'trouble-and-strife' and kept under a heat lamp on our dining room table until it was on it's feet and ready to go back to Bertha.  ;D
You gotta ask yourself, 'Do I feel lucky'?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS